CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:
Fish Oil Recomendation

I am looking for a good fish oil supplement for omega 3s
Any recommendations?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil Recomendation

For affordability, Costco's Kirkland brand is the best choice I've seen. 400 capsules are about $9 and they've got 1000mg fish oil and 300mg EPA/DHA per capsule. Occasionally they'll send out mailers that have a $3 off coupon. Even at Robb Wolf-style recommended doses (~5g omega-3s per day to start with) that'll last you almost a month.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Does Costco/Kirkland sell a liquid fish oil? I'd prefer liquid, but at that price I'd settle for capsules!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

My sister had fish oil prescribed to help her deal with headaches from past concussions. It has 667mg of omega3s, 280mg of EPA, 280mg of DHA, and 107mg of other omega3s. I've been researching and I'm definitley going to get Kirkland's, I just want to make sure if my sister is taking good stuff since her headaches bother her alot.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Aside from EPA+DHA (which is the omega-3 count), the other important factor is purity. There's websites that rate purity of various brands but I can't think of any of them offhand...however, Robb has said somewhere on his website that Kirkland is pretty good. I've never heard of fish oil prescribed for headaches, but I can't think of any reason one particular brand would be better than another for those purposes.

I was just at Costco yesterday and didn't see anything in liquid form. Shop around on Amazon and you can find some at a decent price, though everything I've seen so far is still more expensive per-dose than Kirkland.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Matt Charney

Profile:

There are 2 kirklands. You don't want the 400 capsule one. Like stated it only has 300 mg epa/dha. You want a capsule with at least 600mg of epa/dha. When trying to get 3 gs a day you have to take 5 of these or 10 of the others.

Kirkland has one that says one a day that meet the 600mg criteria. These are the ones Robb recommends not the $9 ones. These give me the burps that tast like fish. I can't do the one a days.

I get mine online from AM B Well. They are 5 star rated by the www.ifosprogram.com You can actually see the values of the toxins and ingredients. If you don't use a 5 star rated fish oil it is buyer beware. Every bottle has a lot number.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:

I take nordic naturals and would steer clear of the costco stuff. I cant prove they are bad for you. But it seems like costco stuff is in general of lower quality and I'd rather play it safe and buy a higher end brand. Especially if im going to be mega dosing these things.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Charney View Post
There are 2 kirklands. You don't want the 400 capsule one. Like stated it only has 300 mg epa/dha. You want a capsule with at least 600mg of epa/dha. When trying to get 3 gs a day you have to take 5 of these or 10 of the others.

Kirkland has one that says one a day that meet the 600mg criteria. These are the ones Robb recommends not the $9 ones. These give me the burps that tast like fish. I can't do the one a days.
The 600mg ones cost twice as much for half as many capsules...so they're 4x as expensive on a per-capsule basis yet you're only getting 2x as much omega-3s. They do have an enteric coating, so if burps are a problem for you the 600mg ones are probably a better choice. I've never had issues though even taking 20+ of the 300mg per day.

http://*************/?p=466&cpage=1 (WFS) This will answer a lot of questions anyone might have--read the comments too for more Q&A. He mentions the enteric coating on the 600mg Kirkland but aside from that doesn't say if one is any better than the other on the purity side--in several other posts he says he's taking Kirkland but doesn't specify. My guess (though I could be wrong) would be that the 300mg and 600mg are the same quality and purity fish oils, just in different concentrations.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
Christie Warner

Profile:

Whatever you get, get the ones in the glass bottle...they last longer. And freeze them..also to make them last much longer. I take 10 a day. Some people get them and take 2 a day, which most likely does nothing. 8 to 10 is perfect.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Aside from EPA+DHA (which is the omega-3 count), the other important factor is purity. There's websites that rate purity of various brands but I can't think of any of them offhand...however, Robb has said somewhere on his website that Kirkland is pretty good. I've never heard of fish oil prescribed for headaches, but I can't think of any reason one particular brand would be better than another for those purposes.

I was just at Costco yesterday and didn't see anything in liquid form. Shop around on Amazon and you can find some at a decent price, though everything I've seen so far is still more expensive per-dose than Kirkland.
Thanks for the heads up, might use Amazon when I'm at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
The 600mg ones cost twice as much for half as many capsules...so they're 4x as expensive on a per-capsule basis yet you're only getting 2x as much omega-3s. They do have an enteric coating, so if burps are a problem for you the 600mg ones are probably a better choice. I've never had issues though even taking 20+ of the 300mg per day.

http://*************/?p=466&cpage=1 (WFS) This will answer a lot of questions anyone might have--read the comments too for more Q&A. He mentions the enteric coating on the 600mg Kirkland but aside from that doesn't say if one is any better than the other on the purity side--in several other posts he says he's taking Kirkland but doesn't specify. My guess (though I could be wrong) would be that the 300mg and 600mg are the same quality and purity fish oils, just in different concentrations.
Thanks for the link, very helpful.