CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Jonathan A Wood

Profile:
VO2 Max/HR

Early today I was reading article about Functional Threshold Power and biking to try and understand it alittle better. Then I came across this scale in the article that was about VO2 Max and how use HR. I'm alittle confused on this and I do not understand what note at the bottom means about HR. Here is the article and if anyone can help me understand why you can not use HR in VO2 Max training that would very helpful.

5VO2 Max106-120%>106%6-7Typical intensity of longer (3-8 min) intervals intended to increase VO2max. Strong to severe sensations of leg effort/fatigue, such that completion of more than 30-40 min total training time is difficult at best. Conversation not possible due to often 'ragged' breathing. Should generally be attempted only when adequately recovered from prior training - consecutive days of level 5 work not necessarily desirable even if possible. Note: At this level, the average heart rate may not be due to slowness of heart rate response and/or ceiling imposed by maximum heart rate)
Old 05-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: VO2 Max/HR

What's there to be confused about?

It's basically working out at an intensity above what you can sustain for a long term experience (aka 3-8 mins intervals) such that it's a suckfest........ much like doing CF workouts.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Jonathan A Wood

Profile:

Well I do understand that but why can you not use HR at this level. It says that your HR would be to low which is the opposite of what I would think that it would be. I thought if you were working out at that level your HR would be very high. But from what I can understand from this article your HR would be low?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Scott Erb

Profile:

HR lags effort. The shorter the work intervals, the more significant this becomes when trying to calibrate effort by HR alone.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Erb View Post
HR lags effort. The shorter the work intervals, the more significant this becomes when trying to calibrate effort by HR alone.
Bingo!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Jonathan A Wood

Profile:

Ok I think understand this but please correct me if I'm wrong. Workout at this level it would practicality useless to use a HR monitor because one of two things are going on etheiryour body is working so hard that your heart can not keep up with it so the HR is lower or your HR is goin to be sporadic when you look at it not consent.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Justin Sean McIntosh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan A Wood View Post
Ok I think understand this but please correct me if I'm wrong. Workout at this level it would practicality useless to use a HR monitor because one of two things are going on etheiryour body is working so hard that your heart can not keep up with it so the HR is lower or your HR is goin to be sporadic when you look at it not consent.
The reason is not that the heart is unable to keep up or sporatic, it is because the moment that you start putting out at this intensity your heart does not instantly begin beating as fast as possible. It has to work its way up to max HR. This can take as long or longer than some workouts. (i.e. a low two min Fran). This would negate the ability of a HR monitor to give an accurate reading. Atleast that is my understanding of what that article was saying.