CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Looking for Advice on Current workout

Sean,

I agree with you, but if you check his goals, there is nothing in there that is endurance or stamina based, except for the pull ups. If the goals do not have extra stuff in them, I go with my previous suggestion. If there is a bunch of stuff about running and so forth, than CF and a CFSB (either Jeff Martin's program or simply a CF like program with a strength bias) would work.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Sean,

I agree with you, but if you check his goals, there is nothing in there that is endurance or stamina based, except for the pull ups. If the goals do not have extra stuff in them, I go with my previous suggestion. If there is a bunch of stuff about running and so forth, than CF and a CFSB (either Jeff Martin's program or simply a CF like program with a strength bias) would work.
Agreed.

I am a believer in the "Doing the WODs as Rx'd will get you stronger," theory of CrossFit. By the numbers he's posted, he is clearly strong enough to at least most of them as Rx'd already... I think the rest is just time, intensity and diet.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
Brian Solar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
If your goal is to get a lot stronger, than your training should be heavily biased towards strength. You can get significantly stronger and maintin CF wod times, or maintain strength and improve CF times, but probably not both.
I'm improving my CF times while having some pretty insane strength gains right now. Doing CFSB
Old 05-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #14
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

How long have you been training? What kind of shape were you in before doing CF?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I am not sure that is true, Phillip.

I followed the WODs 4 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, and threw in some extra deads, squats and presses when I had the time or was not too fatigued from the WODs. I saw all of my lift numbers increase, and my metcon times shrink.

Then you basically did what I and Jamie recommended. Modifying CF to suit the needs of what you're trying to accomplish. Anyone can make gains in two mutually exclusive realms for a while, but eventually if you want to get better at a specific goal you need to focus slightly more on that goal than other goals. This is exactly what you did. Like Josh's article stated you can get large improvements through almost anything in a relatively untrained or detrained person. After a certain amount of time you have to have a more specific plan if you want to improve any specific weakness.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #16
Christopher Brophy

Profile:

I started crossfit a year ago and mountain bike riding...the wods were all I did with no additional strength training...I did very well at it and within 4 months I took my puulups from 3 to 20....my times were okay in the wods but were improving...my problem was that I was not developing strength that I wanted....i.e., do a 135lb clean 21 times...I then got diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and took time off/along with being lazy...

I started back this past December and have been going at it again...from that time the lifts I mentioned all went up in strength...I like lifting the heavy weights as I would like to increase my strength....after seeing someone at the south qualifier do 275lbs 43 times in 3 minutes was awe inspiring...

My goals are to increase my strength to reach my goals/throwing in other items I need to work on like double unders, snatches...endurance and strength are my goals which will allow me to have better times in the wods...I would like to do the crossfit games qualifier next year to experience it
Old 05-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

CFSB it is.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
Christopher Brophy

Profile:

Phillip...

That is what I have experienced over the last 4 months...my back/front squats, deadlift, presses have all gone up in numbers but I wanted to become more specific in developing a strength bias and endurance...what I am getting out of this is I need to put more time into one or the other for a period of time and then switch over to the other? Is that right
Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Than do a strength biased CF program, or select WOD's from the Archive that are more strength/power oriented while continuing to bike ride. Do the strength bias in 4 week blocks, then go back to the WOD's as rx'd for 4-8 weeks, than go back to a 4 week block of strength bias. That's periodization in a nutshell.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
Christopher Brophy

Profile:

I appreciate the advice...thanks alot

chris