CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-23-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
Scott Shafer

Profile:
Anybody including Strongman/Heavy Events type work into their WOD? Farmer's Walks, Lift-n-Load, Tire Flips, throws, etc. Would this "throw off" the focus of the WOD?

I'm asking because I recently happened into a free, 300lb tractor tire. Its just begging to be taken for a walk - and to annoy the neighbors. ;-)

Thanks,

Scott
Old 02-24-2003, 03:53 AM   #2
Coach

Profile:

Scotty,

If I had it we'd be using it. If we included it in the WOD I'd get 500 emails each time it appeared asking, "Where am I supposed to get a big ol' tire?"

Integrate anything that has funtionality, requires strength, and packs a "whollop".

The very essence of the CrossFit creed allows for, even begs for, the inclusion of any functional movement (motor recruitment pattern commonly found in nature), rewards&requires strength, and pack a "whollop" (high heart rate, leaves you exhausted). All strong man events are great inductees to your program.

Good question Scott. Integrate the tire into a workout, and if you will, share with us the workout and a photo of you in the act of ****ing off the neighbors.

Coach

Old 02-24-2003, 07:56 AM   #3
Scott Shafer

Profile:
LOL, Coach. Scotty, eh? "She can'na take much more o' this, Cap'n!"

For anyone interested in a flipping tire, check your local tire shops or construction firms and ask who takes their "unusable" old tires from earth movers. Usually the tire will be free if you haul it off, as the business has to pay to have it disposed of.

I'll see if I can get something in the way of pics. So far my digital camera money is still going toward diapers. This has the promise of being fun...

--S
Old 02-26-2003, 08:47 AM   #4
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
Scott-I integrate lift and load drills into my WOD, and they are extremely brutal.I have a platform set up inside my power rack which can be adjusted from knee hight, waist height, and shoulder height.Then I set a heavy sandbag infront of the platform and do as many loads as I can for time.Sometimes I'll do one-hand loads where you do all the even lifts with the left hand and all the odd lifts with the right hand.
Another cool sandbag exercise is overhead presses or clean and presses.