CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #21
Richard Hoar

Profile:
Re: Fran - rack or clean?

I would think that if the 95lbs wasn't a problem for you and you had access to bumper plates, from the floor might be slightly faster, if for no other reason than you can immediately drop the bar upon the last thruster of a set instead of trying to carefully lower it down onto a rack.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #22
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Derek - squat clean into a push press is a thruster. Watch videos of Greg A vs Josh E doing fran - Josh constantly squat cleans, same with AFT's 2:19 fran.
Look again at the AFT video as well as this OPT vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxjtlALicvQ should be wfs, my computer isn't downloading very fast so I only watched how he started). You'll see that what is actually going on is a power clean into a thruster. They hit or at least very nearly hit full standing before they begin the thruster. If it were a squat clean, the bar would go up directly into overhead position - power clean + thruster involves the bar going up, down, then back up again. It's very fast, but that is exactly what AFT is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
How much were the sets broken? If you can only do 5 or so thrusters before you have to dump the bar, then that's 9 cleans you've got to do it pick it up. If doing 95# thrusters is already hard for you, those cleans will be a challenge too, forcing a further breakdown of your sets and even more cleans.
Exactly. You wouldn't want to clean a heavy Fran weight because the clean itself is difficult. On my last Fran, I failed the clean at one time and had to take even more rest just to get the weight up! Of course, my form for the clean was also pretty bad during that particular workout...
Old 03-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #23
Laura Rucker

Profile:

Fastest Racked time - 5:22
Fastest Cleaned time - 6:18

Do it both ways! Having to clean it is great motivation not to put it down much.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #24
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Deleted.

Last edited by Leonid Soubbotine : 03-12-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #25
Jeff Martin

Profile:

I did a little experiment awhile ago with Short Heavy Fran,
15-12-and 9 reps:
135 pound barbell Thrusters
45 pound weighted Pull-ups
In the morning I did the above and cleaned the weight from the ground it took me 10:00 something. Went back in the afternoon and did it from the racks in 8:00. I didn't break very differently. Think the difference was in my head. Just couldn't get myself to pick it up and get started. Serious mental weakness.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #26
Elizabeth Terris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Rucker View Post
Fastest Racked time - 5:22
Fastest Cleaned time - 6:18

Do it both ways! Having to clean it is great motivation not to put it down much.
That's a great idea! I agree, having to clean IS great motivation not to drop the weight. Especially since I am lousy at cleaning!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #27
Laura Rucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Terris View Post
That's a great idea! I agree, having to clean IS great motivation not to drop the weight. Especially since I am lousy at cleaning!
As noted by Jeff....putting it down hurts more because of the mental game..picking it up and putting it down takes seconds. Having to look at the weight and make yourself pick it up again is a mental butt kicking. Sort of like staring up at the pull up bars and not being able to make yourself get back up there.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #28
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Rucker View Post
As noted by Jeff....putting it down hurts more because of the mental game..picking it up and putting it down takes seconds. Having to look at the weight and make yourself pick it up again is a mental butt kicking. Sort of like staring up at the pull up bars and not being able to make yourself get back up there.
Yep, that's resting with the bar in the rack position (on your shoulders) is probably the best bet.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #29
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Look again at the AFT video as well as this OPT vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxjtlALicvQ should be wfs, my computer isn't downloading very fast so I only watched how he started). You'll see that what is actually going on is a power clean into a thruster. They hit or at least very nearly hit full standing before they begin the thruster. If it were a squat clean, the bar would go up directly into overhead position - power clean + thruster involves the bar going up, down, then back up again. It's very fast, but that is exactly what AFT is doing.
Derek: They are technically doing a squat clean with a high pull (at least AFT and Josh are, Greg is doing more of a power clean.) What I mean by that is: they pull the bar high and immediately squat under, which is not the most efficient form, and not how they would do heavy squat cleans. However, they would be considered legit squat cleans in a heavy squat clean workout (i.e., if they were doing 7x3 squat clean, that would count.) Squat clean to thruster is, to the best of my knowledge, perfectly acceptable, and I've seen thrusters performed that way in quite a few CFs.

As for the rack/clean argument: I don't think there is an "official" stand, but I always have my athletes do it from the floor. I know that some gyms won't consider it "legit" unless it is done this way. I remember a specific instance of Freddy C. (CrossFit One World) getting a 3:06 "Fran" and being informed (not in a spiteful manner, mind you - not trying to start any trouble) that it didn't count unless it was from the floor.

My "Fran" from the ground is 6:05. I may try it from the rack just to see, because I can definitely imagine the mental block of having to pick the bar up making a big difference.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #30
Marc McLellan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Terris View Post
My PR Fran time using a rack is 5:23, cleaning the weight from the floor was 7:32! Huge difference!
Wow!

That settles it. Next Fran is using a rack. I want to knock off 2 min from my Fran time...

Marc