CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Michael Genrich

Profile:
Hi Everyone,

New CF'er here looking for community opinions on the best way to break into CrossFit -- though I expect the universal answer will be "the best workout is the one you actually do instead of think about!"

I'm wondering what your opinions are on using the scaled versions of the WOD provided at the Brand X forums versus the 12-week beginner program outlined in the May 2003 CF Journal. If I wanted to make the most progress in 12-weeks and also best prepare myself for the RX'ed WODs, what would you recommend? I do have previous weightlifting experience.

Background: I'm 36yo, 6'2", 225. Started scaled back WODs three weeks ago -- at Puppy or Buttercup level depending on my strengths -- preceded by 2 out of the 3 rounds of the official CF warmup. Laid off a week (family reasons), started up again today with the scaled-back Grace.

I've been lurking around here for a few months, it feels strange to actually make a post!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Randy Gruezo

Profile:
Michael,

The beginner programmed outlined in the May 2003 is a good starting point. However, I believe it was written if you had minimal equipment. It's an example of what CAN be done despite the "lack" of equipment one has.

However like you said the best workout is one you do instead of think about.

RG
Old 08-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Charles Bennington

Profile:
I would recommend that if you have the equipment available to do scaled WODs.My reasoning would be that you begin to familiarize yourself with the various exercises and movements.

Chuck
Old 08-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Michael"

Scaled WOD's, either self-scaled or scaled for you by Brand X, will move you along quickest.

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Michael,

Second Bingo's advice. This has the added benefit of avoiding the tendency to focus on your favorites at the expense of improvement of your weaknesses.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Welcome aboard.

Scaled workouts. No better prep work for crossfit workouts than crossfit workouts. Add skill work and strength training to get stronger and learn the RX'd movements.

(...no surprise on my vote. And shamelessly partial to Brand X scaling.)

...12 minute Fran to 5 minute fran in 6 months using scaling + strength work. I'm just sayin'
Old 08-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Joe Wongananda

Profile:
Another vote for scaled WOD.

I debated for months on how to start CF, I finally started 2 months ago and have seen and felt major improvements in my ability to do the work outs.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Gant Grimes

Profile:

They should sticky this topic. Most people here recommend scaling. I, however, think CrossFit is an intermediate program. If you are not at the novice level in Rip's barbell standards (W/F safe), then I would do Starting Strength until I got there. Learn the proper form on the basic barbell lifts and CF will be easier and more enjoyable for you.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Tim Donahey

Profile:
So:

1. Starting Strength: to learn the slow lifts, gain novice/intermediate base strength, then,
2. Brand X Scaled WOD: to learn the CF exercises and movements, then,
3. RX'd WOD: you have the strength, you have the technique, and you have the conditioning.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
Tim - yeah, that 1-2-3 list seems about right. I'd echo Gant's comments...you need at least a basis of strength to do lots of these workouts - plus overhead pressing, squats, and deadlifts show up often so you may as well learn them early.

Not that you can't just do Crossfit WODs and progress from there, and I'm sure lots of people have done it. But I think taking some time to concentrate on strength gains on the big non-OLs is a good investment. The Starting Strength program is highly recommended, since everything is mapped out for you already, but a similar push/pull/legs workout that hits the same lifts is fine.