CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Help, I've lost the plot!

I need a mega kick in the butt at the moment. I'm on long service leave. I thought I'd get really fit and lose the 4-5 kg I put on when I couldn't train - but I haven't. In fact I'm getting worse. My training is slacking off and my eating/drinking is getting worse. I'm working really hard around home doing landscaping etc so I have a big dose of carpal tunnel and tennis elbow in one arm. Because of my (hopefully) recovering knee issues I can't go full out on anything. So whilst I'm running I'm really having to hold it back to say 5 km every other day and maybe a 10 once a week and increasing from there. I've just started squatting - bar only. Same with deadlifting. Once, twice a week only. I have no training partners to spur me on. Normally running keeps me (mostly) sane and happy. Or high intensity exercise. Which I can't/daren't do just yet. Plus being perimenopausal doesn't help - my hormones are all over the place.

As I said - what I really need is a kick in the butt. I need to reel my diet in and get some consistency in my training. I've been contemplating an online PT but I'm deeply suspicious of the knowledge of most of them - or whether online coaching would really work. I have the knowledge for the most part, I just have lost my motivation. Any suggestions please! I do belong to other forae in Oz but the advice that comes from here I find is way better.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Help, I've lost the plot!

Aileen;
OK, now remember you did ask for advice, so I'm sure it's going to come from all sides.
First, what are your goals and how bad to you want to achieve them. I won't list them all, but they range from, lose weight, run PR 5k, get strong, improve GPP, yada yada yada
If no goals then you are shooting at no target, so how would you stay motivated?? Consider really cutting back the running, it just pounds the body. Maybe modify your CF program to two days of ME and two days of SS, and rest the rest of the week, could be your burned out. Toss in some yoga, kayaking, hiking, biking on the weekends, you know, fun practical stuff. Search a little harder for a training partner, they do help.

My biggest "find" the last few months has been the Fitday program. I log my food intake and believe that I'm really getting a better handle on eating.(btw, I'm a former 25 yr+ vegetarian). Now I'm playing with a little IF eating pattern.

My personal goals are to get stronger and I'm looking at Greg Everetts program and trying to work it into my CF program.

Aileen, stay on the boards, get a goal(then write up a a time line to achieve goal), invite me down to train with you, maybe I could start up a CF affiliate and provide you a membership for life.

You'll be fine, just stay at it and realize there will always be ups and downs.

Have a super weekend
Old 11-03-2007, 04:19 AM   #3
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Jay - the goal is probably the issue. Without knowing how my knee is going to hold out I can't say eg - I want to do the Bridges in March (10k). If I had a fitness goal I would probably have some impetus to eat better. Whilst my knee is better at the moment I still don't know if I'm going to get better as I slowly ramp up my training or not. It could be a long road and it could be a dead end - I hope not! I don't have a clear answer to my knee problems only my current experience and intuition (or is it just naive hope!).

Training partners - I had 2-3, one moved, then I moved, the other bought a business and I never see her! I'm in a funny place at the moment - even at work its hard because my work hours vary normally so I can't ever say I will be at the gym at eg 4:30pm. Now I'm on leave and I see different people at the gym and they will never be long term prospects for training. Its 12km from home to the gym, 24 return. Its on the way to and from work which is fine when I'm working. I have a reasonable amount of gear at home -weights bars, fitballs, chinup bar. Want to make some parellettes. Wouldn't mind some rings.

I suppose with my fitness goals, diet has always followed. Now I'm in a no-where place.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Oh, and on the strength thing. I've already put on 2 cm at least on my chest and 1 on my arms from working at home these hols. I can do unassisted chins with plus 5 kg for 6 reps. I can BP 57.5 kg for 5 reps. My body weight is 62 kgs roughly. I am 5 foot 2. I can't quote any thing involving legs at the moment because its been aboout a year that I could squat without pain. At that stage I could certainly do 60 kg for 10 reps and sets.

We have a property which is 2.5 acres -60 m by 170 m roughly as a firebreak round the outside in soft sand. Perth is beach sand in case you didn't know! :-)
Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Wade Smith

Profile:

Aileen, I don't have good advice because I'm right there behind you and with you. In fact, each time I search/read knee injury posts, your name and your posts are there before me.

All I can offer is that you're not the only one. I too am gently recovering from a knee injury. For me, it's patellar tendinitis caused by too hard, too much, too long (long distance cycling, cycle-commuting to work, running, and weight-training) while slacking and even avoiding stretching. Dumb, I know.

I was wondering if there was a way we could both investigate the answer to the problem. Have you found anyone out there previously who has programmed WODs specifically to work around knee issues. For instance, I am doing my own modified WODs which either goes light on squats, completely avoids/subs anything to do with running or jumping, and subs GHD situps (which seem to stress/tighten my quads which further exacerbates my knee), etc.

It would be great if someone had already done all this work in programming/subbing, but someone (unlike me) who has a fuller expertise in the necessary ROM, mix of exercises, etc, but from a "recover the knee" perspective.

I'm going to pore through the Workout Log section to see what I can find. Please keep me in mind if/when you find solutions as well.

Sorry for long post,
--Wade
Old 11-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Matt Fargen

Profile:

Are you a swimmer? I think that might be more gentle on the knees. Would concept-2 Rowing work? Also, I find the upper body workouts with dumbells are a great plus if all else fails. Hopefully the knee will eventually correct itself, but often there may be an internal derangement (such as torn meniscus, especially if there is locking or give-way). One goal that many authorities agree on more than any other is 30 minutes of exercise, daily. If I feel like I'm not achieving anything at least I can do something for 30 minutes that increases my heart rate near, or to the target zone. Good nutrition a must. Cut out sugar! That's a great goal worthy of single-minded pursuit if nothing else, because once free you can then proceed to other stages. Each of your goals can be cumulative, don't take any of them for granted. I, like you often succumb to negative thinking (like a nattering nabob). Don't allow that! You're great!

MAtt
Old 11-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I looked at swimming about 2 months ago. I went once! Now I can do some running, swimming won't get a guernsey! For me the pool is a 30 km round trip. And we won't talk about what it does to long, coloured hair! I've found rowing even harder on my knees funnily enough. I'm trying to use pose but we have no one here that teaches it or really even does it - I got one guy to show me his version of it and I'm working on it, belong to the forum etc but its the blind leading the blind.

Wade - love to help any way I can! I looked at Isabel?( snatch) yesterday and went - nup! No way!

Hopefully this funk will pass.