CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #11
David Wood

Profile:

A CrossFit workout (assuming it's done right) pretty much demands a shower afterward (Curves doesn't).

I don't think I'd work out in a gym that didn't offer that option.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:16 PM   #12
Saul Jimenez

Profile:
ADA issues are a killer, but there is a lot of good information on the ADA on the web. In addition, they have a help line that you can call to get information. I talked to Carole this morning and she was very helpful.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

and

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/smbustxt.htm

It would be cool if there was someone in the CrossFit community that was knowledgeable about these laws to help affiliates. Maybe one day I will be, but for right now there are faster, easier ways around them (e.g. garage gym).
Old 12-22-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
Saul Jimenez

Profile:
More info from Carole:

ADA Standards for Accessible Design
http://www.ada.gov/adastd94.pdf

See pages 40-52 for "water closets"

More info on dealing with state and local code officials later. Are there any contractors in the S.F. Bay Area who understand this who need a really cool place to work out? :-)
Old 12-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #14
John Velandra

Profile:
Saul,
are you looking into getting a location? If so, are you broaching the shower issue?

We're in the process of getting our studio up and that's one of the issues I need to look into.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #15
Saul Jimenez

Profile:
John, I have leased a building for 4 months contingent on getting a use permit. I chose the building because it has a shower and a bathroom . Warehouse spaces with showers seem to be really hard to find. Unfortuneately, they are both on the 2nd floor. This could be a deal killer, but everything else about the facility is great. I will try to keep this list in touch on the process because I think it will be valuable for everyone to know the gory details about opening a facility (in the US at least). The facility will be in Redwood City, which is in the San Francisco Bay Area. I would love to hear what other people are going through. I think the best way of dealing with the city planners is to know as much as possible regarding the various laws. A shower is the way to go, if possible. I htink it will be easier to put in a lift than a bathroom but I could be wrong about that...
Old 12-27-2005, 04:54 AM   #16
John Velandra

Profile:
Saul,
From my scanning the regs... this appears to apply to NEW structures only - not preexisting buildings... am I correct in this? If so, you might not need to worry as much!?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:29 PM   #17
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
We have not yet installed showers. Eventually we will, if you can afford the expense now it is a good idea.
We did have to deal with the hand bars in the bathroom and the incredible amount of space needed to turn around a wheelchair. There could be a small garage gym in our restrooms.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 PM   #18
Saul Jimenez

Profile:
John, I will re-read the docs this evening, I hope you are right. After reading the document, I asked Carole at the ADA/Justice Department and she was saying that re-purposing the building (e.g. from a warehouse to a gym) means you are essentially in a new building. I am going to meet with the planning people next week and get a better understanding...
Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #19
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
My understanding was that re-purposing the building means renovating/remodeling. I could be wrong...