CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Justin DiCarlo

Profile:
dizzyness, shakyness, and low lying headache...need some advise

Hey guys

Been doing crossfit now for 2 years...and really love it. about 3 months ago I experienced a constant low lying head ache for like a month. I was doing the whole life challenge at the time...and thought it just maybe the diet. So I went off the diet..and then a whole bunch of other things started to happen. My symptoms include:

dizzyness
fatigued muscles all the time...expecially in the shoulders/traps/wrists
shakyness...this increases when I start working out...like I am full of adrenaline or something
weird pains all over my body
hard time concentrating

It didnt always hinder my performance in the gym...but this past month has been terrible. My stamina is next to nothing. I get shaky...my head starts to pound..and I feel like passing out......all of these things are new and I have never experiened them up until about a month ago.

I have consulted a gp at my local clinic since I do not have health insurance...and they ran my blood work and it came back normal. I also had an EKG done and that also came back normal.

My GP says I was "depressed" and prescribed me CELEXA...I truly do not want to take it...and would like to try a more natural approach. I think I am suffering from anxiety...but the symptom ebb and flow almost all day....so I am worried I have some neurological disease. The worry is really killing me.

Has anyone here experienced this? I though working out was supposed to help with depression and anxiety....and while I do feel somewhat better after a long workout....I am no where near where I used to be 6 months ago. It is really upsetting me...because crossfit is really my only passion....and getting worse in the gym is so upsetting to me.

Please help!

Justin
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Megan Zetter

Profile:
Re: dizzyness, shakyness, and low lying headache...need some advise

How old are you?
What do you do for work?
What is your stress level?
How is your sleep?
What blood tests did you have run?
Don't take the Celexa!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
Phil Washlow

Profile:

In addition to the previous posters question what is your nutrition like? Estimated # of cals and percentages of fat/protein/carbs.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Sounds alot like what I went through but not 100%. Which turned out to be low blood sugar. (hypoglycemia) Are you getting enough carbs?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Sounds alot like what I went through but not 100%. Which turned out to be low blood sugar. (hypoglycemia) Are you getting enough carbs?
Without an associated causitive medical condition hypoglycemia can be caused by both too many carbs and the wrong (highly glycemic) carbs.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Justin DiCarlo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
How old are you?
What do you do for work?
What is your stress level?
How is your sleep?
What blood tests did you have run?
Don't take the Celexa!
Megan

I am 35, currently unemployed, stress level is high because I am at kind of a turning point in my life...and not sure where to go.

My sleep has been weird...I had a period where I couldn't sleep at all...then I had a period where all i wanted to do was sleep...now it has kind of moderated a bit...and I tend to probably oversleep a bit.

Blood tests were lipid screen/cbc w/diff, platelet ct./comprehensive metabolic/tsh w/free t4 reflex

Thanks..I will try not to take it!

Today my dizzyness subsided...we did cindy yesterday..I am usually around 18-20 rounds...i got 15....feel very shaky today. I had a half of sweet potato been up for about 2.5 hours now.

Also...I weight about 190 pounds...5' 9 and I have lost weight since this whole ordeal started. I usually hover around 195...so my weight is fluctuating...prob. because when I dont feel good...or stressed about my health...my hunger goes out the window.

Justin
Justin
Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Justin DiCarlo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
In addition to the previous posters question what is your nutrition like? Estimated # of cals and percentages of fat/protein/carbs.
I dont usually keep track..I eat when hungry. My typical diet is usually pretty paleoish...with the exception of beer every once in a while. chicken, vegetable, avocado...I did try eating bread for a bit...not sure if it matters..I didnt notice any difference in my symptoms.

I have no idea how many calories I take in. I usually try and get a banana or two in..with some nut butter. I usually have a healthy appetite and can eat a lot....

But I do not track what I eat. Should I start?

Thanks

Justin
Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Justin DiCarlo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post

I think so, but not sure....I had a bit of sweet potato yesterday..a few beers...some sushi for lunch, and some lo_mein...didnt eat a lot though...was not hungry..didnt feel good yesterday during the day....then I had a workout...then I felt ok for the night time....and the dizzyness subsided...and it is gone as I write this. However I am getting very shaky and my muscles in my lats, shoulders, triceps, and wrists are all sore...and my hands are shaky as I write this.

AS far as hypoglycemia is concerned...my mother is a diabetic...she has tested my sugars numerous times and they are within normal range. My fasted blood sugar as per my blood test is 94..which seems to be in range.

Thanks

Justin

Not sure if I should workout like this with this shakyness/fatigue...
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Did the doctor not test your vitamins and minerals? A deficiency there can definitely cause these symptoms. Vitamin D is often associated neck/trap soreness.

There is a company www.wellnessfx.com (wfs) that does very comprehensive testing with consultations and a sleep/nutrition/supplementation plan to get all of your levels optimized. Just an idea.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Justin, I have been through long periods of poor sleep and not eating much. I'm gonna chalk it up to those.

Even when I started back on CF, it did help a bit with eating. I still wasn't really sleeping more than 2-3 hours at a time besides spending a lot of time under the covers.

I'd chalk it up to depression and lack of sleep and food. Try to do what you can. It is extremely hard to be active or productive without the sleep.

If you are working out hard. 15 rounds of Cindy and recovering like ****, it's eventually gonna bite you in the ***.

Unfortunately what allowed me to eventually start sleeping better probably wouldn't help you (girlfriend coming back).