CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:
Re: CFSB vs other programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
No.

SS means do SS and nothing else.
So when i do SS i need to quit conditioning all together? I've understood that I need to incorporate metcon to my strength workouts like i need to incorporate strength to my metcon workouts. Or should i do only SS for some time and then come back to conditioning only for some time?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Read up on SS.

SS means lift 3x per week and do NOTHING else if you want to keep making strength gains. You don't "need" to incorporate metcon to your strength workouts if all you care about is getting bigger and stronger...you only need to incorporate metcon if your goals include maintaining or improving your conditioning, or getting/staying lean.

If you want to do conditioning, look at something like GSLP or CFFB's offseason amateur program. They incorporate an SS-style linear progression on the big lifts but at a slightly reduced volume, which allows you to do conditioning 2-4x per week on top of the lifting.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Ted Apollo

Profile:

I know the metcons are probably what led you to this message board and they are great, but you have to realize that with fitness there is a trade off. The main page programming is about general fitness; some strength, some metcons, some endurance. But a lot of us like to periodize different programs to maximize each system.

So if you stick with the main page you will continue to improve all around steadily. From my assessment of your fitness I would say your biggest weakness is your strength. If you were able to handle more weight you would get more out of your metcons. So as a novice in strength training you have the opportunity to make rapid strength gains for the first six months to a year depending on your fitness level. You should be able to get stronger every workout. And then you will eventually stall in those gains. At which point you will need to switch to an intermediate program to continue your gains but on a weekly basis instead of daily.

Check out the book 'practical programming' as well as ss
Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

We have been running a police officer through GSLP + short met-con on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule with orders to rest and eat the other 4 days. It has worked great and he has made serious strength gains through the first 6 weeks.

I did pure SS myself and it worked but having it to do over I would have used GSLP + short met-cons. Letting the cardio go completely on SS is painful to get back.

At your age and weight as long as you sleep 8+ hours and eat like you are on a mission (real food). I expect short met-cons post lifting won't interfere much with size and strength gains.

What ever program you pick follow the direction exactly and stick with it for the recommended length of time. Program jumping will hurt results more then not picking the perfect program.

It should be fun. Wish I knew all this stuff at 18......
Old 09-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
We have been running a police officer through GSLP + short met-con on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule with orders to rest and eat the other 4 days. It has worked great and he has made serious strength gains through the first 6 weeks.

I did pure SS myself and it worked but having it to do over I would have used GSLP + short met-cons. Letting the cardio go completely on SS is painful to get back.

At your age and weight as long as you sleep 8+ hours and eat like you are on a mission (real food). I expect short met-cons post lifting won't interfere much with size and strength gains.

What ever program you pick follow the direction exactly and stick with it for the recommended length of time. Program jumping will hurt results more then not picking the perfect program.

IMO the hardest part is picking out the program itself and sticking to it
Old 09-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Peters View Post
IMO the hardest part is picking out the program itself and sticking to it
No it isn't. Understanding what your goals are is easy. Finding a program that reflects those goals is easy. Sounds like you've missed the first bit?

Just curious, do you have ADD? Reading through some of your posts seems like you have trouble sticking to a program which could be symptomatic.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
No it isn't. Understanding what your goals are is easy. Finding a program that reflects those goals is easy. Sounds like you've missed the first bit?

Just curious, do you have ADD? Reading through some of your posts seems like you have trouble sticking to a program which could be symptomatic.
dylan, never been diagnosed, you know what i probly do? my only problem with programing is im left wondering "maybe there is a better way to do this", "maybe im just wasting my time for no apprent reason" etc i just like thngs on paper and set in stone, just me though, each to their own
Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post

That sounds like a great program. I'll use a thread with short heavy metcons to incorporate into gslp. I'll look into starting it sometime soon and i'll stick to it. Thanks for the advice