CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Zack Hines

Profile:
Nitrean+

I was considering getting some nitrean+ because it seems to be highly recommended here due to the owner being active on the board. However the nitrean+ product is much more expensive (cost per gram protein) than some of the more generic versions

I'm not an expert on this stuff, just want to know if there is any REAL difference to justify the extra expense? If there is, then I'll get it. Also, I don't mind paying an extra buck or two to support someone in the community...but I'd like to know if that's the deal or if its really a quality product and why (comparatively)
Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Nitrean+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Hines View Post
I was considering getting some nitrean+ because it seems to be highly recommended here due to the owner being active on the board. However the nitrean+ product is much more expensive (cost per gram protein) than some of the more generic versions

I'm not an expert on this stuff, just want to know if there is any REAL difference to justify the extra expense? If there is, then I'll get it. Also, I don't mind paying an extra buck or two to support someone in the community...but I'd like to know if that's the deal or if its really a quality product and why (comparatively)
I believe the quality of the protein (isolate) and mix of different (whey, egg, ..?) proteins drives the price up. If you got the money, go with the good stuff. Some of the cheaper whey protein mixes upset my stomach...so that might be reason enough to go quality.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Dana Rice

Profile:

I agree with Joey. It is a very quality product that uses quality ingredients without junk filler. Also look at cost/serving - its very comparable. Not sure what generic protein you were/are using, but prior to Nitrean, I used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. The cheapest I have been able to find it anyware is on DPS Nutritions website for $52.99 for 5 lbs which is 77 servings. That comes out to $.68/serving.

Nitrean is $59.95 for 4.53 lbs, which is 70 servings (23 grams of protein/serving vs 24 grams/serving for ON). That comes out to $.85/serving.

However, I just checked their website, and they are running a 15% off sale that ends today. with the 15%off, its $50.96 for the 4.53lb tub, which comes out to $.72/serving

More important than money though, I have found that being able to trust the company you are buying from is important to me. Supplement industry can be pretty shady. Make sure to read the ingredients of whatever you are buying and compare apples to apples.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Chris offers a top notch product for a good price, plus good customer service and no BS.

Even when a sale isn't going on, you can put in CFF to get I think 10% off for participating on this board.

Chris can you verify the code still works and it is the right one?

If you really need to save the money, the regular Nitrean is a great product too, and in my opinion tastes a little better and is smoother. I rotate between the two products.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Rob Hefley

Profile:

Nitrean + is a good product and is far superior to the cheap stuff. In a 5lb tub you can get 73 servings. Usually for around .70-80 a serving. I'm on my fourth tub of the stuff. I do think chocolate is a lot better than the vanilla though.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

You can get good quality protein from trueprotein.com (WFS), but it only makes a big difference in price if you buy in bulk.

Otherwise, at $8-11/lb it's pretty comparable. Their Whey protein concentrate/Whey Isolate recession mix is at $6.40/lb, but you have to buy in bulk (25lb) and you might have to get casein (and egg protein, if you so wish) separately.

So while you can try to replicate something like Nitrean+ for cheaper, you will have to buy a lot at once. Quality ingredients cost money after all.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Zack Hines

Profile:

That much positive feedback is tough to ignore.

SOLD.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

We are redoing the Nitrean+ vanilla - just an FYI.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

The truth with Nitrean or Nitrean+ is that you can use significantly less than the competition and get the same or better results which actually makes it one of the most affordable proteins out there.

As mentioned, another big deal is we really strive to use quality forms of whatever ingredient is in our products. Trust me when I tell you there can be a HUGE variance in quality in what is ostensibly the same ingredient. Whey concentrate can be 70% or less protein by weight or up to nearly 90%. Guess which type the cheaper products use?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
The truth with Nitrean or Nitrean+ is that you can use significantly less than the competition and get the same or better results
Can you explain why?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #10
Cain Papettas

Profile:

speaking of powders, just doing some research in aus, and apprently " note our HWPI is Hydrolysed to 10%" what does this mean?