CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Albert Hoenigmann

Profile:
Intervals in a box setting

The crossfit level I certificate course material brings up intervals, such as Tabata. I would like to introduce it into the programming at a box I am coaching at. What are your experiences with interval training and interval wods at a box? What are some great interval workouts that you've done? What are reasons to include rather than exclude intervals in programming? (Other than the known reasons and benefits of interval training)

Some good ones that I've done:

Max burpees in a minute. 4 minutes rest x 4 rnds. (4 minutes rest allowed for complete recovery and ability to match intensity/reps on each consecutive round)

Max ohs @ 95lbs in a minute. 4 minutes rest x 4 rnds. (Noticed same effects as the max burpees above)

400m sprint x 5-10 with 2 minutes rest between sprints.

Im thinking that a good use of time in a box for longer rest intervals would be to do foam rolling and mobility work, perhaps even a way to make mobility work take center stage with the wod.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Intervals in a box setting

Just a few examples I've experienced at my gym:

We use tabata's a lot for first part of warmup, such as a medium effort row 250m, then tabata row for calories. or tabata double unders. tabata bike ride.

Longer time ranges:
*20 Min AMRAP-200m Sprint, 60 seconds rest
*Partner workouts where 1 team member works, while the other rests.

Shorter time ranges:
* Straight Tabata
* double tabata w/ alternating movements - i.e. 60 sec work, 30 rest - Burpees & Power Cleans.
* Pyramids - rests between movements could be either a straight time the same after every set, or different such as rest the same amount of time you just worked for. Example: run 200m, 400m 800m, 400m, 200m
Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Good reasons to include intervals are that they increase your top-end intensity...i.e. rather than slogging through 20 minutes worth of Cindy where you're moving in slow-motion for minutes 16 through 20, you could do 4 rounds of 5 minute mini-Cindy sprints with a few minutes of recovery between each round. Each round would be at a pretty high intensity and your overall work output would be higher.

I've also done a lot of "every minute on the minute" type workouts...i.e. every minute on the minute do 5 heavy thrusters followed by 20 doubleunders, that kind of thing.

OPT used to program in a lot of work/rest intervals, you could check his programming to see if he still does. Pretty much anything like "5 rounds for time of X, Y, and Z, resting 3 minutes between rounds" will do the trick.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Chris Cutter

Profile:

After watching the 'Training with Champion' series with Mikko and Dan Bailey I tried a couple of interval type sessions.

3 rounds of:
250m row
60kg Front Squat 5 reps
1 minute rest

My front squat isnt that strong so this may be light for some people, depending on conditioning you can change up rest periods accordingly.

5 rounds w/ 1 mins rest between rounds
7 burpees
7 C+P 50 kg

I also do alot of 400m repeated with 1-2mins rest or 100m walk recovery.

The good thing about these type of sessions is they can be tailored for goals, eg; max power output, speed endurance etc.

Hope this helps mate.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

A good use of the 'rest' intervals is to insert a highly technical movement but allow sufficient time so that there's no rushing the technique. For example:

6 rounds
Row 500m
Rest 2:00
(during the rest period perform two Turkish GetUps)

In this way you get practice with movements that otherwise are poor candidates for "as fast/as many as possible".
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

I would encourage you to mix it up. The workouts you listed in the OP were single movement which can get grueling pretty fast. Mix up the movements and either do stations--fight gone bad style--repeat a short AMRAP workout each fixed time interval, or have rest between rounds, as others have suggested. The rest between rounds is good but if you are running a class fixed intervals where you, as the coach, tell everyone to stop and start together will probably work out better. An example is one I did off of CF Fairbanks website:

Complete as many rounds as possible in 3 minutes:

3 Front Squats, 155
5 Chest-to-Bar Pull Ups
7 Toes-To-Bar

Repeat this sequence 6 times (6 rounds). Rest for 1 minutes between the 3 minute rounds.
It was a darn good workout, though I think I only did 5 rounds.

CF Fairbanks also does a lot of "on the minute" kind of stuff, such as:

for 15 minutes, on the minute do:
2 power cleans @ bodyweight
5 burpees
I like this pattern of something heavy a couple of times (could be snatches, cleans, squats, etc), then something metcon (burpees, double unders, sprint, etc).
Old 02-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Albert Hoenigmann

Profile:

Rebecca, Using tabata's in the warm is a great idea.

Eric, "Use intervals to increase top end intensity" provides a good reason to do intervals.

Chris, Lincoln, and David thanks for the interval wods they all look
great.

One that we have beta tested since I posted the original questions is:

5 rnds of:

2 min of:
250 row.
95lb Ground to overhead as many reps as possible.
followed by 2 minutes rest.

Score is total reps ground to overhead. It was a great wod and it is
going into the weeks programming.