CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Are there full-time trainers at your boxes?

I'd like to become a full-time crossfit trainer but it seems like all the trainers at my box, aside from the owners only work there a few hours out of the week and do have something else as their main source of income.

I've been a globogym trainer for 4+ years and have been training my clients w/what is pretty similar to a CFSB type of program.

I wanted to get CF certified and get out of the globo but it seems like I'd have to open up my own box if I wanted to make CF my main source of income.

Thoughts?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Are there full-time trainers at your boxes?

We have one full time trainer at my affiliate. I would think that aside from opening your own(full of risk), better chance to try to find one that has grown, or you can help grow beyond what just the owner can handle, and either try to "manage" that affiliate, or offer a buy in offer in the future.
Our FT trainer runs 22 of the 32 classes that we offer during the week, and we discussed a future buy-in opportunity at a price to be determined at that time, no percentage was discussed, but he understands it'll be less than 50%.

IMO, as an affiliate grows, it's better to actually pay some of your top coaches. This is the real world. People will eventually want to be compensated for their hard work, in more than just a monthly membership. And those go to the trainer(s) you almost can't afford to lose.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: Are there full-time trainers at your boxes?

All of my trainers are paid but only one is FT. The others coach the bookend classes (5:30, 6:30am, and 5:30, 6:30pm.)

I'm also FT in my affiliate. If you want to enjoy a good income from it you'll need to open your own box. You'll also probably need to be able to work for free or close to it for anywhere from 3-24 months.