CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Andrew Chao

Profile:
Zone Diet & Crossfit Android/iPhone App

Hi Everyone,

I believe this will be my first post on the crossfit boards so I figure I should introduce myself first before getting into the intent of this post. My name is Andrew Chao, and I've been doing crossfit for about 9-10 months now at Crossfit Unlimited in Milpitas, Ca. annnnd I Love it!

I found there to be a significant lacking in crossfit applications on Android. No offense to the guys that made them (if they're on here), but they didn't quite satisfy my needs. Being a software developer, I decided to make my own apps.

As you may have noticed in the Title, there are two parts to this application. One side is targeting the Zone Diet. Why the zone? It's part of the nutrition program that my gym has been experimenting with; it's easier to develop for an accessible beta group. (I have lost ~10 lbs in the last two months since beginning this program) The other aspect well is crossfit.

I'd like to know what you would like to see in a phone app for crossfit or a nutrition program. If you've tried existing apps, what did you like about them and what did you dislike? How do you currently record your PRs and WODS? By hand, google docs, or your calendar? Regardless of how trivial or how specific an idea you may have, I'd love to hear it. Or it can be something really ambitious like, "I'd like the app to learn my weights and performance so it can auto-scale the WOD's for me." Coaches, how can I make the app such that you can use it as a tool to assist you in becoming a better trainer?

Finally, I'll likely be applying for a pepsi refresh grant; A portion of the money will be going to my gym to help fund the nutrition program. I'd greatly appreciate it (and I'm sure as would the trainers) if people helped vote when the polls open. I'll post a link here when it opens. I'm not sure if this goes beyond the forum ettiquete, but reply here or PM me and I'll remove this self promo exerpt.

Oh yeah, if you'd like to see the quality of Android work I've done in the past. Check out cloudList on the android market!

Sincerely,
Andrew

TL;DR - I'm making an Android/iPhone App. I would love to get everyone's ideas and input about what they would like to see, what works and what doesn't on existing apps.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Andrew Cochran

Profile:
Re: Zone Diet & Crossfit Android/iPhone App

I think that should give you some ideas. It was found at the bottom of this page, showing related threads. This was just the first one that I clicked on. There are probably others down there that talk about this and can help you with some ideas. I have an "incredible" don't really need an app to assist right now, but will be interested in what you come up with.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=61847 (w/f/s)