CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
John T Myers

Profile:
Android app interest

How many of you are android users? I am looking at porting the XF Diary iPhone app to android and want to make sure there is an audience.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Android app interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Myers View Post
How many of you are android users? I am looking at porting the XF Diary iPhone app to android and want to make sure there is an audience.
Unfamiliar with the app, but am an android user who is always looking for something better!!

Let me add that it would be nice to be able to "build" or log your wod if you don't want to follow a sites. Don't know if your program does this or not, but that is what I want more than anything else. Even moves that are a little out of the ordanary, like burpie pullups, tire flips, etc.

Last edited by Andrew Bell; 09-28-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

please make an android app, that is either cheap or free being a college student i don't have extra money for apps, but would be interested
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Keras Lesko

Profile:

I've got Xercise for my droid, works pretty well. The dev updates it frequently and takes suggestions to make it work better. But yeah, port it, the more options the merrier.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Myers View Post
I'll let you know in a week. I'm waiting for the phone to come in and if I like the phone I'd be interested.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
John T Myers

Profile:

This seems obvious now but no one with an android phone is going to have ever used XF Diary on an iPhone...

Oh well if you have iTunes you can check out the screenshots. It basically

1) pulls wods from your gym
2) lets you log your wod (you don't necessarily need to link to a gym to do this)

It also has some extras like being searchable (main advantage over paper) and a timer.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I have Droid Incredible. I'd consider using this if it:

1) Is flexible enough to handle the often weird permutations of movements that we get in CF WODs.
2) Allows the addition of custom movements; e.g. weighted box jumps; let me define the movement name, how high the box is, and how heavy the weight vest is.
3) Is intuitive and has quick enough data entry. I don't want to be standing around my gym for 15 minutes trying to log the results from the day's WOD.
4) Isn't too pricey. I'd pay maybe $5-$10. I have many high-quality Droid apps that cost me under $10. Some of them are free.
5) Allows synchronization with BTWB and/or WithFit.

Not clear to me what "pulls WODs from your gym" means. Does XF Diary assume that you're doing a WOD from your gym's BTWB page or something? I would want the flexibility to not do that if I so choose.

- Mark
Old 10-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
John T Myers

Profile:

I decided to go ahead an develop this, should be available later this year.

It does not hard code any movements - it is totally free form as far as the daily workouts go. Trying to enter all movements is futile and it takes longer to sort through everything when you enter data. Everything is searchable and free form. If you want to know what you last fran time was, just search for fran. It links each days workout with a gym, so if you modify it or do something different that is all you have to log. (i.e. RX is enough to enter if you did the wod, since it is linked to the entry).

"pull wods from your gym" means it downloads the workouts from your gyms website. Of course you do not have to do the workout - it is just there for reference. You can enter in anything you do that day and it will be searchable.

It will be a free app, as is XF Diary for iPhone.

It won't sync with any existing site because frankly I think they either aren't very good or cost too much. I do plan to develop a streamlined online site mirroring the functionality of the app (primarily search your workouts) in the future, depending on interest.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I have been looking for some sort of Android App for my HTC Desire... The only health and nutrition based apps that I have are Food Diary,Workout Log, Interval timer and that is about all I have seen that is of use on the market. I will definately be following this thread
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 10-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
James White

Profile:

Count me interested. Subscribing to thread in...3, 2, 1