CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
Jonathan Pownall

Profile:
no weight loss

Allow me to start by saying that I completely understand the fact, that anything worth while takes time. I have some tremendous goals that are likely going to take me many months if not long to acheive and I have not lost faith in the FACT that crossfit is the best way to get there. I am just curious about when I should start to notice any loss of weight. I have been crossfitting for about 2 weeks now so I'm not expecting to step on the scale and and be 10 lbs lighter than I was when I started. However, literally, have not lost a single once. I have been doing the WODs (scaling as necessary) and am doing pretty well with sticking to a paleo diet. I've looked at the zone but I just have one of those body types that responds negatively to carbs with the exception of a little bit of fruit here and there. Most of my carb intake is in the veggies so I hope that is enough. More than anything, I think I'm just looking for some added motivation. Between doing the WODs and watching my diet, I'm not sure what else to do (if anything). My thoughts for the moment is to just start increasing my water intake, cut my portions at meal time (not eating huge portions now but a little less couldn't hurt). Anything anybody has to offer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Re: no weight loss

How is you workout performance? Is it getting better? more pullups, pushups, quicker times etc. If so you could be gaining muscle, a good thing! Give it time, how close are you to doing an unscaled version of the official CF warmup? It's on the start here, or FAQ page, here it is just in case.

The "official" CrossFit Warm-up is in the April 2003 CrossFit Journal.

3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip

Overall diet really is the issue, but in the short run an untrained person COULD see a big initial muscle gain. Chase performance.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Chantal Brien

Profile:

First of all, ! Secondly, 2 weeks isn't that long. Think of all the time it took you to get your body to where it is now (which I gather from your post is somewhere you aren't happy with)... it will take time to reverse that. Thirdly, if you're measuring your progress just using weight, then you may miss some of the changes taking place. If you haven't been exercising and hydrating on a regular basis, than you probably have more water weight than you did before. One of the things that many people on the boards have noticed is that when they started CrossFit they put on muscle and lost fat so while their weight didn't change significantly; but their body composition did. I would suggest taking your measurements, CrossFitting for at least a month and then taking your measurements again and seeing where you're at. Weight loss is a slow process, don't get discouraged, keep at it and you'll get get there .
Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Tom Fetter

Profile:

How active were you before doing CF? What's your body composition like?

I've stayed within 10 pounds of my starting weight in 10 months of CF, though my body composition has changed a lot, reflecting big changes in performance.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
Bruce Drake

Profile:

I have been doing Crossfit for a year, and one thing I have learned is that weight is only one measure.

In the last year, my weight has stayed within a 5 lb range. I haven't swtiched my eating habits, which is a personal choice (or pure laziness, but I digress), but I have noticed other measureable effects.

Two notches in the belt, shirts tighter at the shoulders, baggy at the mid section. Energy levels way up. Nagging pains down or gone.

I concur that now would be a great time to break out the tape measure and establish a body size baseline to compare back to. In hindsight, I wish I had.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Wade Smith

Profile:

I have actually GAINED 8 pounds since starting CF last August. Not a problem, though, since it's mostly muscle.

The scale/weight issue is only one component to consider, and for alot of people, not a very important one at that.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Scott Ponte

Profile:

It's probably a good idea to just ignore the scale. Instead focus on how your clothes fit and what you look like in the mirror. Weight flucuates daily, even hourly depending on food, water, how much you sweat, pee, etc....

Most accurate way to weigh yourself is each morning right when you wake up right after your morning pee. Keep it the same time.

But really, any good trainer will probably tell you that when you begin training when you're overweight its best to just stay off the scale for the first few weeks. It'll just demotivate you as your body adapts and builds new muscle which WILL increase your weight.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Gary Maholm

Profile:

work on the perspective a bit. Work to be fit. Forget about weight. Weight is a symptom of the poor conditioning and bad habits. Fix those two issues and the weight will do what its supposed to.

See many fat people do pull-ups? See many fat people run 10k? How about dips? Gravity wins.

I'm a fat guy. I used to worry about weight but after studying this web site my perspective began to change. If i meet my new goals then my weight will have to follow. Work hard, continue to learn, eat well, and you will be fit.

You are in the correct place (crossfit).

good luck.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

^^^^ what everyone else said

If you're really concerned about the weight loss, which is understandable, then get a body fat measurement done every so often. If you get most of your carbs from veggies, that's perfect.

No reason you can't be doing Zone with Paleo foods. Lots of veggies, a little fruit; just like you like it
Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
Jonathan Pownall

Profile:

Thanks you to everybody for you support. The CF community is nothing short of amazing. It blows my mind that in a matter of a few hours after posting a concern in the CF forum, I have received several responses from all over the country and Canada. You can't find that anywhere else I am sure of that. I do not know my current bf percentage but I will be finding out asap. I can say however that I am 6 ft tall, 225 lbs. Not all gut though. I am just one of those guys with broad shoulders who even in good shape, will always teeter around the 200lb range. When I left Parris Island a few years ago, I was so skinny that I looked unhealthy and still weighed 194lbs. My point is, maybe weight should be my biggest concern. I definitely have some good numbers to gage my progess with too. I currently run a 5k in 25 minutes, 10 dead hang pull ups, 20 dips and the list goes on. I believe I am going to start gauging my progress based on those numbers instead of torturing myself with a scale. Thanks again and by all means, if you have more info or thought that I (or anybody reading this thread) may find helpful, by all means keep it coming.