CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Bruce Duco

Profile:
I don't time my CF WODs and I don't count my reps....

Is this necessarily a bad thing? I know people keep track of their times/reps/loads to log any progression they are making. I just don't do that. I try to go as fast/do as many/go as heavy as I can with each WOD. Would I be better off if I kept track of such things?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: I don't time my CF WODs and I don't count my reps....

you don't have to. But seeing improvements when workouts repeat a few weeks down the road is a huge motivator.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

From the CrossFit Journal article titled "Understanding CrossFit" by the CF founder (emphasis is mine):

"The CrossFit prescription is 'constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement.'

Bruce, you're getting two out of three. If you time it, score it, post it, write it down, critique it, and break your records then it's intense. Having somebody else to do it with helps ratchet the intensity. Be careful not to go too hard too fast, but if you can do the WOD as prescribed (and want to do so), then time and score your efforts. You'll thank yourself later. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:

I think you can perform a high-intensity workout without timing yourself. But I also think you'll push yourself harder if you see that you're close to a time goal. You can do a high intensity workout without a clock, but eventually it becomes an excuse not to try as hard. Competition is a huge part of the CF mentality - you're competing not only against yourself, but against all the other people in your aff or posting on the main page. So I think you're nailing all three aspects mentioned, but I'd time it to make sure you don't let yourself slack off. I know that I'd go slower if I didn't look at my watch every now and then and think "WTF?! 20 burpees and I'm at 1:20?! Time to kick some ***!"*

*Dramatized exaggeration
Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar Cook View Post
I know that I'd go slower if I didn't look at my watch every now and then and think "WTF?! 20 burpees and I'm at 1:20?! Time to kick some ***!"*

*Dramatized exaggeration
Do you remember the days when 20 burpees was impossible? As in, "hey guys I'm fit - I can do 20 burpees!" And everybody else is like, yeah right

Old 04-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

If you're not doing a specific workout, then it doesn't matter if you time it. You won't be encouraged to go faster to get the remaining ten reps in - all your reps are "x."

You should count reps and have a definite workout to do, otherwise you're liable to cut it short before you've done anything worthwhile.

Get a timer and do a definite workout. Don't cheat yourself.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Jake Oleander

Profile:

I say the guy with super saiyan goku in his avatar needs no advice from us on intensity
I don't see anything wrong with not timing your workouts or counting reps... just keep training as hard as you can without injuring yourself and you will undoubtedly progress.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Cody Looney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
Is this necessarily a bad thing? I know people keep track of their times/reps/loads to log any progression they are making. I just don't do that. I try to go as fast/do as many/go as heavy as I can with each WOD. Would I be better off if I kept track of such things?
Bruce,
IMHO, not keeping score of your workouts(reps, time, or load) would be like playing poker without any actual money behind the chips. "Put Something On It" and I'd be willing to bet your ability to work harder naturally increase. Even if you don't compare your scores, the you-vs-you element becomes more exploited when you score them.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Looney View Post
Bruce,
IMHO, not keeping score of your workouts(reps, time, or load) would be like playing poker without any actual money behind the chips.
Bingo.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Is this necessarily a bad thing?
Yes.

People who keep track make better progress.

The End