CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Andrew Lallos

Profile:
Question "Nutrition: The Teeter-Totter"

The most recent CFJ had the video article on Nicole Carroll's nutrition lecture. At one point in the article, one of the members of audience asks a question/mentions something interesting.(I don't have an exact quote, so I apologize if I screw up a minor detail) He mentioned that fact that when he follows his zone prescribed blocks, he is eating under what would be considered the "normal" calorie recomendations for a typical male. I also know that this is a common concern for many CFers following zone.

When he voices this concern, Nicole goes on to talk about caloric restriction and makes a statement to the effect of "You'd be suprised on how little your body will thrive on..."

Can someone/anyone help explain how building muscle on a caloric restriction is possible, when all I've ever learned about nurition is "excess calories+work=muscle growth"

Does the body adapt, or is the above stated muscle growth formula that is commonly accepted false?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to put on some decent muscle, but would like it to be the "crossfit kind" not the "bodybuilding kind" and I would like to know if I should be eating excess calories, or not, or what?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Kermit Partain

Profile:
Re: "Nutrition: The Teeter-Totter"

I am not expert to say the least, but from what I gathered, shes stating that all the excess calories we eat arent needed. our bodies can thrive on less that what we think, so long as it is higher quality food that we stick with.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Andrew Lallos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit Partain View Post
I am not expert to say the least, but from what I gathered, shes stating that all the excess calories we eat arent needed. our bodies can thrive on less that what we think, so long as it is higher quality food that we stick with.
First off, thank you for the fast reply,

Secondly, I came away with that much, however I'm not quite understanding how muscle growth can occur on a smaller amount of calories. The only explaination I could think of is when eating good quality foods, the nutirents are there but the calories are not, i.e. you can get enough grams of protein for muscle maintence/creation but the protein is from a nutrient dense source as opposed to a calorie dense source...same thing goes for carbohydrates I'd assume?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
David Melrose

Profile:

You will NEVER build large amounts restricting calories.

I dont think anyone would tell you that. While calorie restriction "may" benefit performance and "may" increase life span it wont build large amounts of muscle.

There is so mountains of undeniable evidence that supports more calories=more mass.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Kermit Partain

Profile:

your right, I spoke a half truth. I was addressing more of the fact that you will perform at a better level eating a zone diet. But to add mass, you will need to take in more calories, thats a given.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Building muscle during caloric restriction will probably only work for someone with high body fat and low fitness levels. A person who is fit and in the normal or low range of body fat will have to choose caloric restriction, maintenance, or excess, based on their goals. I don't believe Nicole was trying to buck the conventional wisdom of excess calories. I believe by "thrive" she meant "perform optimally" not "build mass".

Let me throw this out there as a vast oversimplification:

CF + strict Zone = fat loss
CF + CF Zone (3x-5x fat) = performance
CF + CF Zone + excess quality calories = mass gain (to the extent that the metcon will allow).

If you need to gain mass-
Starting Strength + gallon of milk a day = maximizing mass gain.
Then, CF + Zone to shed the fat and improve performance.

Last edited by Neil Bauersfeld; 03-24-2008 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: needed some clarification
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Oleg Zhoglo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Bauersfeld View Post
Let me throw this out there as a vast oversimplification:

CF + strict Zone = fat loss
CF + CF Zone (3x-5x fat) = performance
CF + CF Zone + excess quality calories = mass gain (to the extent that the metcon will allow).

If you need to gain mass-
Starting Strength + gallon of milk a day = maximizing mass gain.
Then, CF + Zone to shed the fat and improve performance.
Isn't there a way to gain the weight without the associated loss of definition/fat gain (as would probably occur if one drank a gallon of milk a day). I want to gain weight, but I don't want to lose the way I look right now- mainly my defined abs .
Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Trust me, taking 3 months and gaining 20 pounds and shedding the fat you gained the next month is way more worth having than defined abs for an extra 4 months.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Oleg Zhoglo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Di Vita View Post
Trust me, taking 3 months and gaining 20 pounds and shedding the fat you gained the next month is way more worth having than defined abs for an extra 4 months.
so do you suggest the gallon a day of milk route?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Without hesitation. Rip's program works when it's followed.