CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Tim Luby

Profile:
Wake up and work out: nutrition?

Since I now work out in my garage, my routine has totally changed. Now, I work out in the morning at aroud 6:15 am. Due to time limitations, I pretty much have to wake up and work out immediately. Because of this, I have been foregoing pre-workout nutrition.

So here's my question:

I know that working out immediately after eating can compromise performance because the digestive process consumes energy. On the flip side, not eating food means there could be an energy deficit. So which is the lesser of two evils?

Any suggestions on how I should approach my morning pre-workout nutriion would be appreciated!

I should add that I have not hit the wall or felt sluggish during my workouts since starting this new routine. So maybe the answer is to keep doing what I'm doing?

Last edited by Tim Luby; 03-04-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Wake up and work out: nutrition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
Since I now work out in my garage, my routine has totally changed. Now, I work out in the morning at aroud 6:15 am. Due to time limitations, I pretty much have to wake up and work out immediately. Because of this, I have been foregoing pre-workout nutrition.

So here's my question:

I know that working out immediately after eating can compromise performance because the digestive process consumes energy. On the flip side, not eating food means there could be an energy deficit. So which is the lesser of two evils?

Any suggestions on how I should approach my morning pre-workout nutriion would be appreciated!

I should add that I have not hit the wall or felt sluggish during my workouts since starting this new routine. So maybe the answer is to keep doing what I'm doing?
I would say continue what you are doing, basically IF principles!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarena Kopciel View Post
I would say continue what you are doing, basically IF principles!
Thanks for the response. What are IF principles?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

I've been doing what you've described for years. But I don't follow the zone or other diet plans. I allow my caloric intake to flow dependant upon my physical output.

In any event, it takes me about 30 minutes to drive to the facility I train at, so when I first get up I immediately take two scoops of whey protein powder and a teaspoon of almond butter. I also take my morning EFAs.

Normally I don't get to the gym until about 45 mintues after I've done this.

Then immediately before training, I take a handful of BCAA's or Amino Acid tablets (about 10 to 20 grams worth).

It's worked well for me over the years. I've retained a lot of my muscle mass and I'm fairly lean.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Jack Lalanne has been doing what you are doing for how long? 70? 80 years? working out every morning at 5:00 am before having breakfast. Still going strong at the age of 94
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 03-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

IF=intermittent fasting
Really good info here
wfs
Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

I, too, do CF before eating in the morning, and I haven't found it to hamper me at all. To be honest, I'm not hungry first thing after waking, and a good workout just works up a nice bit of hunger
Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Joseph Gammon

Profile:

I have been working out on and off for years, and I have varied between morning/afternoon/evening - mostly before crossfit when I was stuck on preacher curls and all that goodness.

I find that mornings when I work out, I feel better during the day as long as I get a good sleep and eat a good breakfast, but that is just me.

I will rarely feel sick in the morning while working out, but I am almost positive that is pukie coming on from a tough workout - not from lack of nutrition. I don't feel that my performance has been effected, but I haven't done much recent research on it.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

I do the same thing. One suggestion is to make sure you have a last feeding prior to bed. I go cottage cheese (reduced fat), crushed walnuts, vanilla protein powder. Don't really hit carbs hard prior to bed, but you could add an apple or other fruit for a 2 block snack. I've been doing this, with CF workouts, for 4 years or so.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Mark Reinke

Profile:

Hey Larry! When are you swinging by the new box?!