CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Jimi Miller

Profile:
Prescribed rest schedule?

I saw a post somewhere mentioning a rest schedule to avoid overtraining and burn out. Problem is, I don't remember where I saw it and the FAQ doesn't mention it.

Here is what I remember:
Week 1-3 full WODs
Week 4 do 1/2 WODs
Week 5-?

I get fuzzy after week 4. Can anybody help?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Prescribed rest schedule?

week 4, 8 = half intensity
week 12 = totally off

Rinse and repeat.

Listen to your body though. It may be able to take more or less depending on your genetics, diet, sleep schedule, etc. so don't bust yourself over doing it on THIS set schedule.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Uh oh. I'm on week 4 (halfway through) and haven't been doing 1/2 intensity. Is there any risk to this?
For example, I noticed the BUDS program says no running week 2 bc of possible stress fractures. I already have a hard time on off days and if I miss a workout!
I'm really enjoying the progress.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Matt Parkins

Profile:

Like Steven said, there are variables but you ultimately have to listen to your body. I have been following a three on one off or four on two off schedule for a while and had no problems. Sometimes I do take an extra day off if I'm feeling beat up. You could also check out some of the threads on overtraining.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Jimi Miller

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Steven. This actually is my fourth week and I think it came at a good time. My shoulder had been giving me some problems but a few days of lower intensity and no pullups have really helped it.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Man oh man. At about 4:30 today I felt extremely worn out!! I think the rest of the week is 1/2 intensity. My shoulders and knees ache and my arms and legs feel heavy. I hope I'm not getting sick, but this is how I felt after the first week of Crossfit. I've upped my intensity for the last few workouts and I guess it's catching up with me.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

I kind of threw this in the mix three years ago and it has worked well for many people. Some benifits I have found:

I tend to work harder during the three weeks of full intensity because I know a deload week is coming.

That first workout after a deload week is usually a PR.

I have to force myself to take a rest week...It is necessary, you get 4 weeks off a year, enjoy them. This is not a sprint, your training should last a lifetime. I used to use the rest week to calculate max weights (DL, overhead press, squat, C&J, and Snatch). Now that we are doing more 1rm workouts and CF totals, I just rest!

During my rest week, I loosen up my nutrition...nothing crazy, but if I want the cookie or ice cream...I just do it. Once again, this makes the proceeding 11 weeks easier. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My vacations are always rest weeks, so I may have to alter when the rest weeks occur.

I've been doing this for years with great results. Give it a shot.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

That sounds good at this point! I'm sure my body is wondering WTH is going on!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
Michael Glover

Profile:

Larry, this is Michael from Alaska. When you say 1/2 on weeks four and eight, what exactly do you mean by that? Half effort? Or do you mean cutting each workout in half with full intensity? I am confused. Thanks man.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I personally do not like easy/off weeks and never do them. Every time I tried I had hard time getting back on track. What I do instead, when I feel like it (usually every 3-4 months after continuous CF) would switch to doing 3-4 times a week some other activity (jiu-jitsu, gymnastics, swimming or just heavy lifts, etc...) with still keeping at least 2 days of full power metcon. After 2 weeks of that I feel mentally refreshed and ready to take my CF training to the next level. it is easy to resume CF and never had issues with overtraning. Also it is fun to learn new sport every now and then.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19