CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #11
Jonathan Pownall

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: no weight loss

I just noticed a typo in my last post. I said that weight should be my biggest concern. I meant to say that it SHOULDN"T. Sorry
Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Re: no weight loss

Jon,

I'm also a big guy... 210 6'4. Although I got the lean end of the measurement.

Your numbers are pretty impressive for somone who considers them so unhealthy. Concentrate on the positives and improvements you make like you said.

One of my big motivations for crossfit besides wanting perform better in martial arts and athletics is that every day I write down my physical activites in a book. Journal if you will, its pretty cool to look at it and see what i've done. Once its in black and white if I know there was a WOD that day and I don't have my numbers next to it I feel like a huge *** and then hurt myself even more to make up for it.

Maybe that could help ya.

Welcome!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
Jonathan Pownall

Profile:

The numbers are ok but I want to be doing a lot better. My biggest enemy is endurance. I run an ok 5k but when i cross the finish line, I am dyin!!!! With the pull ups and dips, I can get those numbers in a single set. But people in good shape can rest a moment and hit it some more. I cannot. I'll do my 10 pull ups, rest a few moments and on the next set, i struggle for 2. I have a good base for strength and relative speed, but endurance is a huge factor for me as I have none. I know that over time, crossfit will cure that. I am just impatient. Maybe crossfit can cure me of that issue as well.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
Trampas Hutches

Profile:

I have been doing crossfit for 9 weeks. I went in with the mindset that losing weight is not an issue. So what I did a BF test and took body measurements with a tape measure. I also looked for performance numbers which have improved alot. I am on a fairly good Zone (not perfect) and I have lost nearly 4 inches off my waist, 6% off BF and my times are decreasing by 5-6 mins for WOD's. The kicker of it is I have not lost one pound! At first I was disappointed when the scale showed no change. Now as long as the other factors are working (BF, inches etc) I am fine with it. So at 6'6" 260 that equates about 15 lbs from fat to muscle.

In short maybe you should use body measurements vs the scale. Also your strength numbers are fantastic! Try to look at all the positives instead of the negatives.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #15
Greg Fischer

Profile:

YOUR DIET. Trust me, nutrition is paramount. Get it dialed in. Research Zone, paleo, and quality food sources. I'm not even close to "optimal" food quality and intake levels, and I have come a long way in 3 months. Constantly learning more. ...Stop eating bread for a while...
Old 04-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:

Mass (losing or gaining) is related to................. Diet.

Diet is 9/10th of the battle. Training is 1/10th. No exaggeration.

Read what Greg wrote above me.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:27 AM   #17
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

Nutrition should support muscle mass not fat mass. That said, use nutrition to improve performance, when performance improves body comp will improve. Make your goals compliance oriented not ascetic oriented. ie not 5% bodyfat, but comply to paleo diet 90% of my feedings.