CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:
Re: Too old and Beat up ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
As simplistic as this may sound, I'd recommend taking lessons if you want to add swimming to your workouts. There are lots of ways to swim, but few ways to do it efficiently enough that you will be able to last long enough to make a workout out of it.

- Mark
sound advice
Old 04-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #22
Michael Keller

Profile:

Here's a link to the scaled WOD's: http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Old 04-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #23
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R Tucker View Post
sound advice
That's me living up to my commitment to say one sensible thing per month. Now I can take a break and not have to say anything worthwhile for the next four days.

- Mark
Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #24
David Sailor

Profile:

I'm 45 and can't imagine not doing Crossfit. I found it 2 years ago and have made steady gains. More importantly, I feel good and I know I'm in good shape. My only real med issues are creaky knees and a recovered separated shoulder and neither are limiting issues with any of the WODs. I still play soccer 2-3 times a week and volleyball, doubles or 4v4, a couple times each week also.

Read the FAQ, scale the WODs and start slow. Good Luck and have fun.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #25
Peter Queen

Profile:

OK, Iíll add my 2c to the conversation. First of all, welcome Lou, nice thread. Being 47, my knees are fine after all the passing years luckily. My problem was with my back. I had suffered for about 8 years with severe lower back pains which would easily leave me literally in a fetal position whenever it would go out, which was quite often. After discovering CF I begin to feel improvements within the first 2 weeks. Since then I have been able to go about my days with no adverse back pain. In fact it has been over 2 years since I last went to a chiropractor. Considering I use to go at least twice a month at times, that is one heck of a life changing improvement. I have been an avid runner, cyclist and volunteer firefighter for many years and it feels great to consistently stay in better physical shape now with the help of Crossfit.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #26
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

I'll add my usual, three weeks hard, one week half volume, 12th week off.

Getting some rest helps. De-loading is a tried and true part of athletic programing.

BTW, I am 45 and have been doing CF for 5 years. I'm in pretty decent shape, pretty low bodyfat and strong. Never too old brother.

Last edited by David Wood; 04-27-2008 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #27
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Could this be the "Old Guys" version of the "Crossfit Girl Power"? 48 yo 2+ years into CF. Old shoulder issue on left from football, new shoulder issue on right from being a dumb a$$. While I have had to work around these I have found, like Peter, that my chronic back issues are dramatically improved.

Check your ego at the door, scale for safety, and start to work on your diet (most of the more success stories here involved some variety of the Zone diet).

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #28
Stephen Smith

Profile:

To give you a little perspective, here's a brief history of my years of self-abuse (not that kind, you pervs!), excerpted from my nascent workout log:

"First off, a little about me. I'm 43, 5'8", 190#, probably a little over 20% BF right now. I've abused my body pretty well over the last 43 years, including breaking both legs (1 being hit by a car, the other playing football), having no ACL in my right knee (I had reconstructive surgery, then blew it out again, also football, this time when I was 30 and out of shape and should have known better), broken fingers in both hands (racketball right hand, football right hand different incident, punching a steel door left hand, broken wrist there too), broken ribs (kicked by a horse), broken maxillar bone right cheek (hit in the face by a kayak while river rafting), broken toes right foot (practicing martial arts on a moving aircraft carrier hangar deck and hitting some hydraulic fluid on the non-skid), dislocated left shoulder, damaged meniscus left knee and broken right ankle (motorcycle wreck)... There's more, but you get the idea."

If I can do this stuff without further damaging myself or exacerbating old injuries, anybody can!

*edited for stupidity (well, to remove stupidity, but you get the idea).
Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #29
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Could this be the "Old Guys" version of the "Crossfit Girl Power"? 48 yo 2+ years into CF. Old shoulder issue on left from football, new shoulder issue on right from being a dumb a$$. While I have had to work around these I have found, like Peter, that my chronic back issues are dramatically improved.

Check your ego at the door, scale for safety, and start to work on your diet (most of the more success stories here involved some variety of the Zone diet).

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.
lets ask the moderators to change this thread title. YES we have a winner. What should be the title? Even when my father was injured seriously from his last structure fire he could always seemingly pull out some incredible feats of strength - when I questioned him on it. He called it his old man strength - it has and is starting to serve me well.

What say you mature men of Cross fit? Sound off! Old Man Strength Forum?
Old 04-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #30
Stephen Smith

Profile:

I cast my vote, but I don't have a good suggestion for a new thread name.