CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Jason Cherry

Profile:
Weight Watchers and CrossFit

Hello,

First post.

I have been doing CF for a year now and am finally turning an eye toward nutrition. Is following a WW plan sufficient to trim fat and build muscle (using 100% Whey for supplementation) while working at prescribed levels for CF workouts?

Sincerely,

Jase
Old 03-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
Shane Kim

Profile:
Re: Weight Watchers and CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cherry View Post
Hello,

First post.

I have been doing CF for a year now and am finally turning an eye toward nutrition. Is following a WW plan sufficient to trim fat and build muscle (using 100% Whey for supplementation) while working at prescribed levels for CF workouts?

Sincerely,

Jase
I think the rule of thumb is as long as you are eating enough protein to maintain lean mass, and enough carbs to support exercise but not enough to accumulate body fat, then yes, WW is sufficient. I know that's a real vague answer but you may have to tinker with your diet to find the right 'dose' for you.

This calculator can help. Link to drsears.com bodyfat calculator WFS. It will tell you approximately how many grams of protein you need per day depending on your level of activity. Weight yourself and keep track of body fat % on a regular basis to see if you need to make any dietary changes. (ie - if body fat is increasing, maintain protein, but lower the carb intake) Your body is also pretty good at letting you know what you need to do if something is wrong.

Good luck!

edit: no i'm not subtly suggesting you switch to the zone diet by leading you to drsears.com.

Last edited by Shane Kim; 03-28-2008 at 10:51 PM..
Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Jason Cherry

Profile:

Shane,

Thanks for the site.

Jase
Old 03-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

Jason, Weight Watchers is calorie control not optimum nutrition. I usually describe a 5 step process:

1. Clean out all junk food from house. If you live with others who don't like this idea, at least relegate all junk to one drawer or cabinet you will not have to go into (preferably not at eye level).

2. Eat only "clean" food for 3 weeks. Lean meat, eggs, fish, protein powder, vegetables, fruit, seeds, nuts (not peanuts), nut butters, olive oil, fish oil. None of this should come from a can or box. Eat as much of this as you want, anytime you want. Experiment with recipes and prep and storage of foods. Cook all lean meats 2 times a week only, and bag and refrigerate individual servings. Start taking fish oil with every meal. Go to the library or Amazon and get "Mastering the Zone" by Barry Sears. Just read and understand. Get the CF Journal articles regarding the Zone.

3. Now it is time to dial in proportions. Calculate your block requirements and follow the Zone by weighing and measuring your food. Do this for a month. You will need a scale, measuring cups, and spoons. Don't skip this part. You will be able to individualize this plan later. For now stick with it.

4. Individualize this plan. Adjust blocks, and up fat per the Athletes Zone.

5. Now it's time to look at food quality. Grass fed meats, fresh farmers market organic vegetables, look into paleo and tweak the program to your individual needs.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Jason Cherry

Profile:

Larry,

Looking into the book.

Junk food has never been big here. So that is not so much a problem. Does beer count as junk food, hmmm...

Where does dairy fit into the zone/paleo side of things?

Library has already shot me down. Checking out Amazon.

Thanks for your help.

Jase
Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Jason,
On the dairy question: definitely not Paleo, but in Enter The Zone, Dr. Sears seems to think that milk is nearly the perfect Zone food.

I personally don't tolerate dairy well, so when I switched to more Paleo/IF/Zone-ish (gradual progressions) I had no issue dropping milk, yogurt or cottage cheese. Many will tell you that typical dairy products that have been pasteurized and highly processed should be considered junk food. I just think that they're highly inflammatory. Some like the raw milk if you can get it.

Also, beware of junk food cravings. When I switched up my diet, I began craving donuts for about a month. Pretty tough run for a while.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:

I can tell you I'm down with Kefir (cultured milk product) every day.

I love cheese and milk, and well yes I'm Zoning once again with Paleo, but if cheese and milk are cheating, then I will cheat.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Erwin Morris

Profile:

Jason,

I started weight watchers right before 31 Dec 06 and by June 07 had loss about 25 pounds. I did a mix of CF, long distance running, and weight lifting during that period. I didn't notice any particular decrease in energy or performance. I would let your body be the guide to determine if WW and CF is for you. If you are tired all the time and have a decrease in energy and/or performance maybe it isn't for you.

Erwin
Old 03-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Jason Naubur

Profile:

My wife switched from WW to Zone, and the biggest difference the quality of carbs and quantity of protein.

Mostly now she is eating lots of veggies, and little breads or grain products, and more protein.

Oh, and eat real protein, not shakes if you can help it.

jason
Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Geoff Kegerreis

Profile:

Aren't you a tad concerned with the lactic acid associated with dairy products?