CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
John Bei

Profile:
I'm a varsity wrestler on my highschool team, and myself and a few of my team members have been doing crossfit for a few weeks now and can already see the gains, both on and off the mat.

Now that more people on the team are becoming interested and doing some workouts with us, many of us have decided to show our coach and try to convince him to use Crossfit.

What I'm hoping some of ya'll can help me with is anything that could help us to convince our coach that this stuff really works. He's an extremely oldschool, powerlifting, run 3 miles then do sprints kind of coach.

I plan on showing him everything from the FAQ, Foundations, What is Crossfit, and all that good stuff, and also getting him to watch a few of us do a particually nasty workout (thinking tabata FGB). So basically I'm hoping for anything ya'll could give me to help supplement what I'm going to show him.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
John,
It likely won't be the CFJ or the workouts that will impress a wrestling coach--it will be your performance on the mat.

Make sure he knows beforehand who is doing CF and who isn't, so he can watch the changes...
Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

Profile:
You're on the right track John. Besides explaining the theory and concepts of CrossFit, the enthusiasm and results you and the others receive should be enough to spark his interest and prompt him to want to learn more about CrossFit. More often than not, the results speak for themselves.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
After thinking about it, your coach may relate better to it if you tell him that CF won't so much change what exercises the athletes use, as simply change how the exercises he already uses are "put together" into workouts.

Show him some of the workouts that are the most similar (yet arranged differently) than what he would already have you doing.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
Joe Marsh

Profile:
If you still feel you need more help, you could always encourage him to shoot an email towards Coach Burgener. He has his entire high school, studnets and athletes alike, performing CrossFit style workouts. http://mikesgym.org (wfs)

(Message edited by joeinvegas on May 09, 2007)
Old 05-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:
I've had several guys that wrestled in high school tell me that the workouts "feel like what we did in wrestling practice". You've got some great ideas on how to try to convince him; see if he wants to do a workout himself to get a taste for things. Nothing super long, it could be 5-10 minutes of work. Keep things short and intense, just like your match rounds. 3-5 one minute stations then rest might work.

As has been said before, convince him with results and intensity, not necessarily with theory. If its tough and it makes you guys perform better then he'll probably go for it.

Good luck.

(Message edited by peter haas on May 09, 2007)
Old 05-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
"I've had several guys that wrestled in high school tell me that the workouts "feel like what we did in wrestling practice"."

Exactly what I'm thinking. Crossfit WOD intensities probably closely match that of wrestling practice moreso than in other sports.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:
John,
It's great to see that you have stuck with it and are getting good results. A couple of people have mentioned that your performance will be the proof your coach needs. Connor's wrestling coach comes to Brand X to train and brings his family.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
John Bei

Profile:
Thanks for the replies everybody, there are some really good ideas that I hadn't thought of (especially your's Garrett...be great to watch my coach do a crossfit workout)!

First off to Jeff, ya we've stuck with it and we owe alot to you already for helping us get off the ground by answering all of the questions that I/we had.

Second, to Veronica and Peter, it's true that crossfit really closely emulates what goes on in a wrestling match, which is why we're loving it so much already. Crossfit seems to focus more on muscular endurance than the other workouts that we have done, which is critical in a wrestling match where you have to move around an oppenent who weighs as much as you for 6 minutes straight.

We plan on showing our coach everything on Monday and I'll be sure to post how things go.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
Norm Rager

Profile:
Your coach might be interested to know that in addition to learning how to use your hips for power, speed and to come to the rescue of your extremities (throws, etc..) - you'll most likely not jepordize your weightclass, even with measurable strength gains.

Not to mention unmatched GPP that would smoke an unsuspecting opponent!