CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Michael Houghton

Profile:
Hello! I wanted to introduce myself. I am a teacher at a middle school in California, and have been teaching for 2 years. I'm teaching history, and saw the movie 300. Before you shoot, let me say that I explored and found out about crossfit and that other place. I like the theories and ideology of crossfit much better. Although I am just starting out, I am extremely addicted to the website and workouts. I have to scale back a bit, because I have only done weightlifting for around 10 years. You see, I am 6'5" and weigh 298 lbs. I played college football and pro football for a couple of years. I have been struggling with my weight since I retired, and have finally found a workout program that I can stick with. I love not having to go to the gym and just do weights. I feel much better since starting the WOD's. I even got a couple of other teachers interested, and we are working out in the mornings before school together. The PE teacher who is going to work out with us is going to incorporate the Crossfit Kids stuff into his lessons as well. We are all very fired up and excited to see what the future holds. My co-worker and I are trying to figure out where to put power rings when we get them. (it will be soon.) I just built a box yesterday for jumps as well. Hopefully we will be ready to hit the mud run in camp pendleton in January, or whenever it is next. I just ran 3.4 miles yesterday for the first time since high school. I can do maybe 4 or 5 pullups, but am okay at the bar dips. Thanks for such a great website and all of the great workouts. Hope to meet some of you soon, if I keep going I will for sure get into the certification programs.

Mike
Old 08-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Awesome, glad to have you!

Old 08-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Excellent. Keep us informed about yourself and how your school is doing with CF. :-)
Old 08-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Milton Grasle

Profile:
Welcome, Michael. I too am relatively new to the message board and am somewhat addicted to it. Mainly because thee is so much info here. Most of it is right on. Sounds to me like you have an excellent start. keep us updated.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Mike, you're not too too far from Mike's Gym; you should visit them sometime and talk to Mike B. about training schoolage kids Crossfit style.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Michael Houghton

Profile:
I definitely will. My co-worker also works with wrestlers, and does mma some. I want to start getting into that kind of stuff as well. I'm definitely going to visit there in a couple of months when I'm off. (teaching has great off months!)

Mike
Old 08-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Welcome... I'm very excited to hear the implementation into schools. When I settle down I hope to inspire the schools in my area to do the same. Please keep us posted with the progress.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Welcome!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
Paul Mirek

Profile:
"I even got a couple of other teachers interested, and we are working out in the mornings before school together. The PE teacher who is going to work out with us is going to incorporate the Crossfit Kids stuff into his lessons as well. We are all very fired up and excited to see what the future holds."

I'm also a teacher, and I started doing a few things with a small group of students. Sadly, I am switching schools, so I have to start getting to know a whole new set of students and teachers. The new school has many young teachers though, so I feel like the potential is there to have a CrossFit staff. I admire what you are doing as a teacher and as a CrossFitter. It's sad to see what has happened to PE in our schools, so any way we can renew interest in physical activity is A++. I'm even saying this from nerdy English teacher perspective. I just cringe when I think of what kids should have but are not getting.

Keep us informed as to what you are doing with your co-workers and your kids.

http://mrmirek.blogspot.com (W/F SAFE)
Old 08-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
Michael Houghton

Profile:
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Today We had 4 people out there. Just 2 the first day, then 3, now possibly 5 the next time we work out. People are starting to be infected. It's so funny to see someone who is in "shape" come out and think they're gonna blast through a workout. One teacher was goofing off, said it didn't sound that bad. We did yesterday's, but subbed burpees for cleans, because we have no weights. We did regular dips. He wasn't saying how easy it was after a few burpees. He was miserable for about 15 to 20 minutes after the workout. The pe program at my school is pretty excellent, but it could use a couple of changes. I think crossfit kids is going to work perfectly. Hopefully next year I can get into pe and really work some kids.

Mike