CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Joshua Yuhas

Profile:
Time vs Weight - I can't do it right.

Today we had a WoD called "Fran +".

Fran (95/65)
10min rest
100 deadlifts (195/115)

This was my first time doing fran, and I am not very confident in any front squat position, so I scaled to 65# (male). I finished in 5:58.

Then for deadlifts I scaled to 155# and did that in 5:57.

My problem is that I am told we have a cut off time (fran = 12 min, DL = 10) so I think I overscale in an attempt to beat that time.

Looking at my times, I probably could've gone heavier for Fran and even heavier for the DLs.

How do you figure out the weight for the movement when you are doing WoD with a cut off time limit?

Thanks for any help!
Joshua
Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Time vs Weight - I can't do it right.

Isn't this what you pay your coach for?

If you've done a workout before, you can use that experience to guide your scaling. If you haven't, you take your best guess and learn from the results.

Scaling to meet a cutoff time is really no different than scaling according to your target time for the workout.

Katherine
Old 09-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

If you hit the cutoff time it means you failed miserably at scaling, so stop already. You didn't hit the cutoff time, so don't sweat it too much.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 09-13-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Isn't this what you pay your coach for?

If you've done a workout before, you can use that experience to guide your scaling. If you haven't, you take your best guess and learn from the results.

Scaling to meet a cutoff time is really no different than scaling according to your target time for the workout.

Katherine
Well, seeing how it was a "coach" who prescribed 100 deadlifts for time after already having them do Fran....
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Well, seeing how it was a "coach" who prescribed 100 deadlifts for time after already having them do Fran....
This raises an eyebrow...
Old 09-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Ten Minutes after fran I am still trying to prevent my lunch from making an appearance on the floor of my gym. The LAST thing I would want to do would be 100 deadlifts @ 195.

In fact I would never do 100 deadlifts at 195 as it would ruin me for a couple of days, and for what??
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Yuhas View Post
Today we had a WoD called "Fran +".

Fran (95/65)
10min rest
100 deadlifts (195/115)

This was my first time doing fran, and I am not very confident in any front squat position, so I scaled to 65# (male). I finished in 5:58.

Then for deadlifts I scaled to 155# and did that in 5:57.

My problem is that I am told we have a cut off time (fran = 12 min, DL = 10) so I think I overscale in an attempt to beat that time.

Looking at my times, I probably could've gone heavier for Fran and even heavier for the DLs.

How do you figure out the weight for the movement when you are doing WoD with a cut off time limit?

Thanks for any help!
Joshua
I'd say you scaled appropriately.

You have to decide if you want more of a quick burner, or slow strength-centric workout. I would prefer to see Fran done in under 6-7 mins.

I wouldn't program 100 deads, however, if I did I would expect you to use a very light weight. Maybe something like high rep band pull-throughs (repetition method) would have been better. But again, I wouldn't have programmed those workouts.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
In fact I would never do 100 deadlifts at 195 as it would ruin me for a couple of days, and for what??
I don't think I've done 100 deadlifts in the past few months. Maybe if I included the warm up sets.

Tell your "coach" to quit being an idiot.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Joshua Yuhas

Profile:

I appreciate everyone's concern, but a couple points I have to respond to.

1) I am not questioning the programming at my gym. It is what it is. We have our metcons and our heavy days etc. And sometimes, people get creative. In fact, I keep a pretty close eye on the local boxes and their WoDs - and some of the stuff is pretty hefty to me. My first thought when looking at another gym is that yes, their coaches probably scale the hell out of them. Not That they have no idea what they are doing.

2) Of course my coaches scale me. I hope I am not doing a disservice to them by asking questions on the board. I've been there 9 months, and I'd like to start taking some of the responsibility. My hope was that someone here had something like a formula or maybe had a trick they used for scaling based off of 1RM.

3) I can ask my coach (and I did, but I like to hear everyone's ideas - it's kind of fun!) but usually after workouts, my brain is jello. So when I get back to my desk, I like to log on and ask questions.

Onto the individuals:
Katherine - Thanks. That was my guess, that I'd just have to adjust based on previous attempts. For Example - Next time I may try 85#.

Lincoln - Thank you. I was wondering whether it's better to get closer to the cut off or not. Again, something I will ask my coaches, but I like to hear people's opinions on subjects I find fascinating (crossfit being one of them).

Eric & Ben - Appreciate the concern. But I don't see where you are coming from - if you could be more specific in your reasoning I'd appreciate it. Why is it unsafe/unproductive to do 2 short WoDs with a 10min break in the middle?

I am being serious here - I have no problem with discussions and I think my coaches, if they have an issue, would be better at defending themselves if they even felt it necessary.

I would like to know why would doing:
45 Thrusters & 45 Pull Ups - then waiting 10 min then doing 100 DL @195 (if you don't scale)
Be bad programming?

There are thoughts that doing the exercises in some of the order & volumes we do it are bad ideas - why is this in your opinion worse than others?

Tim - Thanks for the response. What do you mean by "High rep band pull-throughs"? I don't think I've heard the term before.

Jonathan - Appreciate your concern.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

Fran is going to wreck you, if you go all out.

100 DL's straight through are going to wreck you (and your lower back) too.

both in conjunction with only a 10min break will mess you up pretty bad. and especially if your are a beginner, your form on the deads will "most likely" go to

AND you will have to recover from that mess, for a couple of days.
I know I would.

and if you don't go all out on both of them (ie "gaming") then there is no real reason of doing it anyway...

it just sounds more like a WOD in a competition.

my 2cents