CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
Jon Gregory

Profile:
Re: Time vs Weight - I can't do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Serious question and not a shot at you. You did 100 deadlifts at 225 pounds to work on fast hip explosion. Could you not have used some of Westsides pricipals which would have resulted you doing less reps? Or Power cleans as these focus on explosive hip extention? Again NOT A SHOT just wondering why you chose to do 100 reps?
That's a very good question. I would also ask why are you working your hip explosion? Oly lifting? Contact sports? Sprinting? Or simply to improve deadlifting?
Training the DL dynamically (as in Westside) is a good idea but its not really an ideal choice for training explosive hip movement, IMO. There's a difference between training deadlift speed and explosive hips.
As for lifting 100DL in a session........why? What's it going to achieve?
I do agree that you can use a DL in a metcon to good effect but not 100 for time.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #22
Simon Edmundson

Profile:

I've been doing dimel deadlifts (but with full rom) for over 6 months now. It is usually 4 or 5 sets of 20 reps at 225-245lb dependant on how I feel that day. This is explosive work for high reps. 225-245lb isn't that much weight for me to handle with my current 1RM being 628lb and my 5RM at 507lb. This with reverse hyper seems to have a restorative effect for my lower back, gluts and hams. This is not a metcon but every now and then I try to do all 100reps as quick as possible.

Principle is taken from http://train.elitefts.com/exercise-i...mel-deadlifts/ (WFS)

But I tend to use full RDL range of motion as I am just built to deadlift (shorter legs, longer arms). I train this to build my deadlift and squat. I do a mix of 5/3/1 with CF or Westside with Cf. Currently on 5/3/1 with CF and this is an accessory lift for me.

Hit on it all you like! January 2010 Lumbar disc hernia no deadlift for 11 months.
December 2010 start deadlift again with 150kg 1RM
August 2011 1RM 285kg (belt only).

This was all done by deadlifting and box squatting, with reverse hypers, ghr's, dimel deadlifts, pin pulls and deficit speed pulls.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #23
Jon Gregory

Profile:

As I understand it, and I am frequently wrong, the Dimel deadlift is not so much for training explosive hips as it is for training the hamstrings. Dimel's are accessory work and not full deadlifts so either way the point is moot. We were talking about doing 100 deadlifts for time which is different to doing several sets of Dimel's.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #24
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Sorry, I misread your post. If you are doing Dimel deadlifts to the floor you aren't really doing Dimel deadlifts as far as I am aware.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #25
Sean Dunston

Profile:

While I don't particularly like the idea of programming 100 DL for time, let's not crucify the programmers just yet. This type of programming isn't exacty new. I just reread an article by Dan John where he discussed exacty this type of program.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #26
Ewen Roth

Profile:

I remember a few of us doing 100xBW DLs for time once as a challenge, which must have been 200lbs or so for me. Not sure if we had done anything significant beforehand, but probably not Fran.

I think I paced it as 20 or 25 DLs/minute, including a short rest between sets, so either 4 or 5 minutes all told. Can't remember being any more sore after that than after various other WODs. Even so, every workout is a competition, right, so it's ok to feel like crap for days afterwards.