CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Kevin Simons

Profile:
Re: Time vs Weight - I can't do it right.

Joshua- I live in the Seattle area myself, so I'm curious, what gym do you go to?

I'm sorry, but to me that looks like extremely poor programming. You are paying a decent amount of money and investing a lot time and effort; I would not be satisfied with "it is what it is." I would ask your trainers what training effect they are striving for in programming 100 deadlifts in a workout. It's not strength nor is it a metcon. Deadlifts are just about the most taxing exercises on the CNS that one can do, and I really don't understand the point of programming up to 10 minutes worth of them. Really. Training is going to be compromised for days with no discernible increase in fitness that I can see. And programming anything after Fran... . If you did it right, you should already know how silly that is.

I don't mean to be a dick, but I have a decent amount of experience training high caliber athletes, and I would NEVER program a workout like this. How did individuals from your box do in the Open or at Regionals?
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Yuhas View Post
2) Of course my coaches scale me. I hope I am not doing a disservice to them by asking questions on the board. I've been there 9 months, and I'd like to start taking some of the responsibility. My hope was that someone here had something like a formula or maybe had a trick they used for scaling based off of 1RM.
I have seen 50-60% of 1RM used as a very rough rule of thumb. It varies depending on the workout -- use less weight for higher volume, more if the workout has only a a small number of reps and is supposed to be "heavy." Err on the side of caution: better to make the workout "too easy" than to injure someone.

Katherine
Old 09-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #13
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Yuhas View Post
My hope was that someone here had something like a formula or maybe had a trick they used for scaling based off of 1RM.
Basically this is built-in to the wod. Assuming the coaches know how to program, they'd design a wod with say 90% of 1rm in mind, in which case you should use 90% of yours. Or if it's a higher amount of reps, its perhaps designed with 50% in mind, in which case you should use 50% of yours.

Almost all the time, it'll depend on how many reps are involved and what other exercises are being done with it.

In short though, I've never been a fan of programming a wod with 75 reps of *anything* in a row. By time you reach that many, the stimumlus is gone, the form is gone and chances of recovering in under 24hrs is gone.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #14
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

There's nothing wrong with doing two short workouts in a day or separated by 10 minutes even--the problem is doing two stupid workouts, or one very stupid workout (i.e. 100 deadlifts, regardless of weight) when you're already fatigued.

As Kevin pointed out, you have to ask what you're trying to accomplish with the workout. If it's just to leave people in a sweaty pile on the floor and make them sore the next day, it's a bad workout. 100 deadlifts won't be heavy enough to provide a strength stimulus, and they're not a great choice for high-rep conditioning purposes, so really all you're accomplishing is wrecking people's lower backs and encouraging them to do a lot of sloppy and bounced deadlifts.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
Jason Denny

Profile:

Having done a WOD last week that had 100 deadlifts...it sucks. I would take the cautionary advise given here. Fran is good enough for the day. Do it right and you'll be spending the rest of the day with "Fran Cough" . 100 deadlifts is a bad idea no matter the weight. Your form CANNOT remain 100% for 100 reps and when form suffers, so will your back. My back is still sore and I am ****ed at myself for not listening to the little voice in my head telling me "it is a dumb WOD...don't do it".
Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I can live with a 100 deadlifts in the 50% range of your 1 RM max spread through a multiple movement workout say:

10 Rounds
10 deadlifts
15 push-ups

This prevents massive lactic acid build up. There might be some. My work set dead lifts are 350 so that would put me around 175. Would probably round up to 185 to make the bar loading simple. We have done workouts like this at my gym a couple of times in the last 14 months. Went well.

If I did 100 #185 deadlifts as fast as possible I wouldn't be able to walk for a couple of days. I lift heavy twice a week and do 2 or 3 met-cons a week so it is not an issue of being out of shape.

Very rough rule of thumb
2 reps 95% of 1 RM
5 reps 80 to 90% 1 RM
10 reps 70% 1 RM
20 reps 60% 1 RM (these can be tough)
more then 20 I would want to be at or below 50%

The number of reps in a set is very important. For example:

10 rounds of:
5 deadlifts
5 pull ups
10 push ups

You could use more weight then:

5 rounds of:
10 Deadlifts
10 pullups
20 push ups

Both these workouts have the same total number of reps but you could use more weight in the first one because of smaller sets.

This can also vary a lot based on how experienced a lifter a person is and there general fitness level. I have a new member who is very strong (ex power lifter) but has very, very little metabolic capacity. For him I would scale down even more because his heart and lungs can't keep up yet.

Not a big fan of the Fran, rest 10 minutes, then 100 deadlifts day. It would leave me too beat up. I would be forced to take a rest day following.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #17
Joshua Yuhas

Profile:

Thank you everyone for the responses. I see where some of the issues are coming from and I am not able to adequately debate. My ignorance is way too high (In fact I am signing up for the crossfit journal tonight) about programming and the reasons behind why we do what we do.

I do like that people have been fairly civil - it makes it easier to understand.

I don't think I am gaming or sandbagging on purpose I just do not have the lung capacity to do fran at such an intense level that I am wrecked from it. Nor did I have a starting point to determine what weights etc to use.

I was tired, stumbly etc but I wasn't wrecked. Even the 100 DLs didn't completely wreck me.

I am sore, but not hurt (mainly my hamstrings).

Thanks again everyone. I do appreciate the concern about the programming and I'll take it up with my coach about the ideas behind having Fran + 100 DL or some of the other WoDs.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
Simon Edmundson

Profile:

100 romainian deadlifts for time three days ago. 225lb on the bar total. Concentrated on fast hip explosion. Great lower back/hamstring accessory work. No pain or doms since. Did follow it with 90 reps on reverse hyper extension at a range of weights.

I got no problem with 100 deadlifts for time. You will learn how to scale wods with more experience. Ask a coach and if they don't get it right often enough....find a better coach.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
Brett Dartt

Profile:

if my old affiliate wanted me to do 100 deadlifts for time after fran i would laugh at them. and then prob never come back

but then again my old affiliate wouldnt do that
Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #20
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Edmundson View Post
100 romainian deadlifts for time three days ago. 225lb on the bar total. Concentrated on fast hip explosion. Great lower back/hamstring accessory work. No pain or doms since. Did follow it with 90 reps on reverse hyper extension at a range of weights.

I got no problem with 100 deadlifts for time. You will learn how to scale wods with more experience. Ask a coach and if they don't get it right often enough....find a better coach.

Serious question and not a shot at you. You did 100 deadlifts at 225 pounds to work on fast hip explosion. Could you not have used some of Westsides pricipals which would have resulted you doing less reps? Or Power cleans as these focus on explosive hip extention? Again NOT A SHOT just wondering why you chose to do 100 reps?