CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Pär Larsson

Profile:
Need to improve my pushups & 300m sprint in 2 months for job.

Will be required to take a physical test for undisclosed job, need about 50 static, almost-full ROM continuous (no stop, no rest in any position) pushups and a < 50 second 300m sprint time.

I'm currently at about 35+ pushups and 52s sprint.

37 years old, 6'2" with long arms, 205# CF Trainer with a history of IRONMAN LSD, MMA, rugby, climbing, soccer. Barely able to BP BW.

Tabata pushups, Tabata sprints? Ladders? Ideas? How often do pushup days - or maybe two-a-days?

Resources, links?

Cheers.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
James A Wade

Profile:
Re: Need to improve my pushups & 300m sprint in 2 months for job.

One way my pushups got better was just simply doing them often.
You can try this: do as many pushups as you can then wait on minute and repeat. Do a total of three sets. Your pushups should decrease each round by about half. Sounds simple but really works your arms.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
Struan Potter

Profile:

Is the 300m a shuttle or a straight run?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I assume that what's hindering you on your sprint is lactic acid build-up, in which case all you have to do is just keep running. I find 800m intervals very effective for building a good lactic tolerance/increasing lactate threshold. Short-distance intervals, such as 50-100m are good for building speed.

If you want to get better at push-ups, do more push-ups. Once every two days take a set or two to a couple reps short of failure and then one more to failure. Alternatively, a method similar to grease the groove will help. In the end, only you can decide what the best way for you to train is.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Frequency method pushups will boost your numbers pretty quickly. If you're at 35 pushups right now, do 4-5 sets of 18 spread throughout the day, 4-5 days per week. Add a rep or two every week. Since you won't be going anywhere near failure you won't mess up your recovery by using that method.

As for the running, just sprint more. A handful of 200/400/800m repeats with about 3x recovery a few times a week should set you up fine.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Michael Ingley

Profile:

you're already so close it seems like if you just took the test a couple of times you could get it in a day or two..

or you could do like
3 rounds for time
max push ups
run 300m
rest 2/3 mins in between rounds
Old 09-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Simon Edmundson

Profile:

Follow www.crossfitfootball.com and do accessory pressups every session. Vary them up so 200 normal hand placement for time, 200 decline for time, 200 incline for time, 100 Clap Press-ups for time, poly press-up, ring press-ups. Keep varying the lift each session and hit them hard. Some direct tricep work after the press-ups every 3rd session will help. 20 rep set dips x2 or 3 with weight.

Look at Joe Defrancos site for sprinting tips. Starting weight weight distributed over both feet and staying at 45-60 degrees with head down for the first 30 yard will increase your starting speed.

On off days run 3, 4 or 5 400m. Try running just as hard as your 300m and take it 100m further. 2 months to increase top speed is difficult. Direct glute ham work will help with drive. Youtube Dave Tate or Louie Simmons glute ham raises.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ingley View Post
you're already so close it seems like if you just took the test a couple of times you could get it in a day or two..

or you could do like
3 rounds for time
max push ups
run 300m
rest 2/3 mins in between rounds
It may be hard to swallow, but there's better way to achieve specific goals than simply doing metcons. If you're fatigued from one exercise, you won't be able to put as much into the next exercise as you should. This becomes counter-productive.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
Tom TJ Jones

Profile:

For running, you could also do some interval work running "downhill". Find a hill that is 100 / 200 m long and go flat stick.. May assist with developing "leg speed" if you have done most of your running at a steady pace in the past... Also, intervals 200 / 400 etc as suggested above...
Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
Niall Somerville

Profile:

Supplement with magnesium malate (malic acid). It has been shown to slow the onset of lactic acid. This combined with the information others have suggested will get you there. Good luck.