CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: squat rack

If you have room and no need for mobility, I like a power rack over stands. You'll have a stable place for chins, good safety if you fail in squats or benchs. Also a good foundational piece if you every plan on using bands.

But, if you do mainly olypic style lifting stands are probably a better fit.

Keep in mind that adding safety arms on the S-1 add cost that gets you closer to a kick butt power rack.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
Zach S

Profile:

Instead of safeties, make jerk boxes. They replaces safeties and add more elements to your gym. Use them for partial movements and box jumps.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Get the Rogue S4 squat stands. Extremely stable, and the j hooks are easy to adjust for benching, pressing, and squatting!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
Simon Edmundson

Profile:

Get a Rogue Y1 and then save up for some safety squat bars for it.....I couldn't think of any better set-up. You will have a rack, yolk, sled all in 1....its a no brainer!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Did everyone miss the part where he doesn't want to exceed $400?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
Dennis Boline

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Did everyone miss the part where he doesn't want to exceed $400?
Seems like it.

It seems like the S1 or S2 will do from Rouge. I'll make my own jerk boxes, since I found a how-to guide online. It seems pretty straight up.

Has anyone else built them? Any suggestions, tips, or problems?

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Boline View Post
Seems like it.

It seems like the S1 or S2 will do from Rouge. I'll make my own jerk boxes, since I found a how-to guide online. It seems pretty straight up.

Thanks,
Dennis
I have not built them yet but know some people who have and i would say that there are a couple things to keep in mind. First i dont know which directions you found but if you want the jerk boxes to double as jump boxes i would make them in 6" increments. so if you wanted a total of 4' per side, you would need 3x12" boxes, 1x6" box and 1x6" top box. Double that to know how many total boxes you would need. Also instead of putting handles on the outside, i would recommend cutting handles into the boxes and also cutting out some other areas to lighten them a bit since i hear they can be quite heavy. You dont have to follow the guide exactly, most of them seem a bit overkill.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Derek Robinson

Profile:

I sell Legend Fitness equipment and I agree with the previous post about used racks. You may be able to find a new rack out there somewhere for $400 range, but it will be crap. The rack will offer safety versus a set of stands, but for the price it is hard to beat a set of stands unless you are going for HEAVY lifts. If you like anything from legendfitness.com (wfs) let me know and I can get you a quote. derek@legendfitness.com
Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Boline View Post
Seems like it.

Thanks,
Dennis
I agree with Zach, except for the lightening them up part. You want them heavy, otherwise they will walk and jump all over the place every time you dump a weight on them!! The biggest thing I would recommend would be to make you you cut straight and find lumber as straight as possible!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
Michael Burke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Robinson View Post
I sell Legend Fitness equipment and I agree with the previous post about used racks. You may be able to find a new rack out there somewhere for $400 range, but it will be crap. The rack will offer safety versus a set of stands, but for the price it is hard to beat a set of stands unless you are going for HEAVY lifts. If you like anything from legendfitness.com (wfs) let me know and I can get you a quote. derek@legendfitness.com
I've owned the legend individual squat stands before, and they were very well made. I ended up selling them and buying a legend power rack, though, but I thought they were quite nice for freestanding squat stands.

My opinion is you will be happier in the long run to save your money and do what you can with a barbell and plates until you save up for the rack. All the while scour craigslist daily and you very well may find a nice used cage in your price range.