CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Rogue Parallettes!

Hi All,

I just received the new Rogue Parallettes in the mail yesterday and thought I'd give a little review.

The first thing that surprised me right out of the box was how substantial they are. I guess I expected some light thin piping but they are far stronger than that. They're made of a very thick steel on the order of what's used for a power rack. They are fairly large but when put side by side and slightly offset don't take up much room. They are also fairly heavy, 25lbs or so. This makes them much less likely to move around than I thought.

The feet are wide enough that they don't wobble at all when I do a handstand or L-sit. I could still see the crossbrace coming in handy if one were trying to string a few units side by side, or with a big person with balance issues, or if you plan to use it on exercises with more movement required such as crazy planches like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYGyo9wx6M (WFS). The fact that you can get your own crossbrace if you decide you want it is great.

The coating is fantastic. I guess it's the same stuff used on the rings. (My rings weren't from rogue) It holds chalk well and has nice grip-tion to it.

My only comment might be on the placement of the screwdowns for the crossbrace. If you have the screws in they are placed facing upwards on the foot. Since I'm new at parallettes I am a bit terrified about coming down on to them with my knees or something. It might be better if they faced forward or backward. When using them I didn't have any problems, but it was a fear.

However, that fear was pretty easily remedied by either.
a. switch the bars around so that the screws are on the outside and away from my knees. The crossbrace wasn't quite long enough to reach then, but they'd be out of the way.
b. remove the screws from the unit if you didn't need the crossbar so that they weren't sticking up.
c. put the side with the screws away from my knees, but then it's by my head a bit.
d. know what I'm doing.

It's just a small issue which probably wouldn't matter if I knew what I was doing.

Working on them is very fun although scary at first. Once I got the guts up to kick up into a handstand they were solid as a rock. I tried some hand stand pushups on there which I can do pretty well normally. On the parallettes those were tons harder. I realized later it's because I was going down much further than I thought. Getting better at those will be fun.

After hearing stories of pvc parallettes shattering I think these are awesome and well worth what seems a very reasonable price.

Here's the parallettes on the rogue site: http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_parallettes.php (WFS)

And here are some "action shots". Excuse the shirt off-ness (It saves laundry for the misses ) I even faked a planche for this review
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04766.jpg
Views:	2806
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	5147  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04773.jpg
Views:	3227
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	5148  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04783.jpg
Views:	6324
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	5149  

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 09-17-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fix my grammar.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
John S Park

Profile:
Re: Rogue Parallettes!

They look great. Thx for the review Matt
Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Chris Robinson

Profile:

I also wanted to post a review of the Rogue parallettes.

I would echo Matt's sentiments that, in true Rogue fashion, the parallettes are built to last. I also agree that the coating is outstanding and there is no wobble when performing any move. In addition, the width of the pipe is a good size for both males and females.

The set I received came with a round pipe a little over a foot in length to serve as the crossbrace. The one thing I would probably change about the crossbrace is the shape. I would make it square just like the parallettes themselves. With the crossbrace being round, there's a little room for the parallettes to get out of perfect alignment. It's not much, but with a square tube that fits snugly inside the parallettes there wouldn't be room for any movement.

Overall, these would be an excellent addition to any affiliate or home gym. For the affiliate, I think these are a great option over the home-built, PVC version for two reasons: 1) No chance of Rogue's parallettes breaking, and 2) They look professional.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
d. know what I'm doing.

Thanks for the review. These are the next item on my wish list. I think they will be my birthday present to myself next week. The pics help...these definitely look bigger and more substantial than what I was picturing from the Rogue website.

And shirt off-ness is one of the reasons I CrossFit .
Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
William Henniger

Profile:

Chris:

We increased the diameter and length of the round tube connecting the parallettes to reduce the movement. We used round rather than telescoping to keep cost down and to make it easier to slide the round tube in/out. The increased diameter has made the unit very solid. I think the indy stands are the way to go, the cross member won't get used that often.

The tube that is in there now is also an example of the outer diameter needed if you want to run 10 of them in a row like the Games. You can buy a large length of pipe from Home Depot and "Daisy Chain" them together.

---

Glad everyone likes them, we have a ton of new stuff coming out. I have been giving away items on our Facebook page as well.

Bill
Old 12-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
Brian Russell

Profile:

Just got some unexpected cash and I am thinking of getting some Parallettes. Just wondering how long the round connection tube is now, compared to what it was. I am not really sure that I need it though, but I have never done HSPU's so it may be beneficial for me to have it at first...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I still love mine. And I don't think the tube is a necessity at all, more a peace of mind thing. My advice would be to get them without the tube and then if you think you need it later on you can get one from the hardware store.

I stumbled acrossed some paralletes the other day which were way more expensive and not near as cool or bomb proof as the rogue ones. I think they turned out great.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
William Henniger

Profile:

I agree with Matt, I would get them without the cross member. You can easily pickup some pipe and 3/8" -16 bolts to lock them in if you really want this. Every unit has a nut welded on the thru hole to allow for locking them in a row.

This will save on cash and as Matt mentioned these are about $50/set less than others.

Bill
Old 12-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Brian Russell

Profile:

Thanks, ordering just the Parallettes right now. I won't go anywhere else if you guys sell it. I am extremely pleased with everything I have made by ROGUE, and will continue to order from you first. Cannot wait to start working with them!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
Will Armstrong

Profile:

who is shattering schedule 40 inch and a quarter paralettes?

I'm dubious.

My paralettes cost 5 dollars to make. They are over 2 years old. If I shatter em I'll make some more.