CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:
No energy -> No motivation?

Anyone struggle with this?

I've been in a horrible rut lately, can't think of why. Sleep 7-8 hours every night, I'm eating better now than ever, train 4x a week. I've even recently dropped 5lb which is kinda concerning. I didn't really consider this a problem until I noticed my pants not fitting well.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Rick H Larson

Profile:
Re: No energy -> No motivation?

I tend to struggle with a lack of energy and motivation pretty often. Most of this is related to my job though. I work 10+ hours a day at a desk. Most of the day is spent getting yelled at over the phone by very upset people while I do my best to help them. The stress level is extremely high in my industry and unfortunately that carries over into pretty much everything else. When I finally get to work out at the end of the day I already feel like I just finished a wod.

Like you, I eat well, try to get 7ish hours of sleep a night, and I work out 5-6 days a week. Other life stressors can greatly offset all of that. Most nights once I write the workout on the board I'm ready to go home. The way I stay motivated and keep with it is to try and vent my stress while working out. I try my best to have fun with it. For a long time I was really negative about my performance and not PRing like I used to. Lately I'm reminding myself that I do CrossFit to better myself, stay active, and just have a good time. If you aren't having fun there isn't much reason to be doing it in the first place.

I really can't comment on your weight loss. I personally have been trying to put on weight but it's a very very slow process.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

I'm basically in the same boat. If I'm not stuck behind a desk for 9 hours then I'm stuck in a car for the same amount of time. Come 2 o'clock I'm just dying, and you're right, the second I leave the office I feel like I just spent all day doing Fran, both mentally and physically. It's not so bad early in the week but by Friday afternoon I'm absolutely useless to the world. I don't think I've stayed up past 11pm on a Friday night in over 6 months.

The weight loss is actually a concern. If you've seen my posing history you'll see that none of my nutrition threads deal with losing weight haha
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Rick touched on something very important, life experiences can be stresses can be very draining on the nervous system and when combined with intense physical exercise can easily lead to overtraining (a form of). My guess is you are definitively overtrained. Take a 1-2 weeks off from the gym completely and you will come back feeling much better and more motivated. You should then also consider your actual training to determine if it works for you.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Rick touched on something very important, life experiences can be stresses can be very draining on the nervous system and when combined with intense physical exercise can easily lead to overtraining (a form of). My guess is you are definitively overtrained. Take a 1-2 weeks off from the gym completely and you will come back feeling much better and more motivated. You should then also consider your actual training to determine if it works for you.
Agree big time with this post.

You'll probably end up getting sick pretty soon and often if you keep training hard when you're so stressed out.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

I'll echo what Chris said. In addition, I suggest trying to get more sleep. For some folks, 7 hours is plenty, but it's entirely possible that you need more (especially if you are handling lots of work stress and training hard). Try getting a solid 9 hours of sleep per night for a week and see how you feel. It could make a world of difference.
Also, try switching to 2 or 3 workouts per week for a while. It may seem counter-intuitive, but if you're not making any gains right now and always feel drained, whatever you're dong is not working and needs to change.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd been thinking about dropping to a 3 day split, actually.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I have been doing Monday-Saturday constantly for the past 2+ months. Last week and probably this week, I am going to take an additional day off (Thursday) to help me recover. Sometimes you just need the extra time off. It can be hard to be tired, sore and unmotivated to give certain days a solid effort.

It is part of the whole "listen to your body" thing. One of my biggest problems having a strict program to build and follow was that I felt like I owed it to myself to follow it, no matter the condition of my body. So if I added an extra rest day, I started trying to shift workouts around and make-up all of the "missed" sessions.

It just wasn't working out. So I took a step back, decided to "Free" up Thursdays and only toss in something if I feel up for it.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Matthew Rowzee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkkpThUw1YM (a little cussing)

This was an eye opening idea for me when I saw it a few months ago: I can be overtrained before I hit the gym because of life experiences. Meditation has done wonders for me with dealing with all the stress life tosses at me.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Rick Schwing

Profile:

As Chris Mason stated take some "you" time.. I was on a strick eating/globo gym routine from Dec to Feb for a bulk, then a strict eating/Box/Str routine from Feb to mid March.. Only ever having no more than 1 or 2 days off a week. If that.

My motivation was my transformation. And the results i saw after a successful bulk, and then dropping BF doing cardio and crossfit. Last week though, I just got extremely burnt out, no motivation. I had a few cheat meals and took some time away from all things physical.

I feel as though I may have gained a few pounds back, if that, I still eat decently clean, with the occasional few cheat meals.

I can say this break has helped me alot!!! I feel refreshed and completely motivated, excited to get back in there and make better gains! My advice take some time off, id say 2 weeks most, you dont want it to effect any gains you have made to much and dont get sluggish.