CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Lorenzo Sponzilli

Profile:
increase mass

hi, I do CF from about 5 mounth and I'm realy enjoy. I'm 1,90 cm and 163#.
I want absolutely increase my mass and for this I start to understand what I must eat. I train me 5 time a week. waht I must eat during the day of work and what in those of rest??
Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: increase mass

There's no magic to it. Eat more on training days, and eat more on non-training days. Rest days are when your body tries to rebuild the tissues it damaged on training days.

Let's assume you want to weigh 200lbs which would be a pretty solid start for your height. That means you should eat 200-250g of protein per day, roughly the same amount of carbs, and about 100-150g of fat per day. The higher ends of those ranges would put you near 3500 calories per day, which still may be a little low if you're a hard gainer. If that doesn't work for you, bump things up even more. Get your calories from unprocessed foods as much as possible...lots of meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, and good fats like olive oil and coconut milk/oil. Dense carbs like sweet potatoes and oats are good too since it's very hard to get 200+g of carbs from nothing but fruits and vegetables.

You should also be getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-40g of protein and 50-75g of quick carbs in your body right after training.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Eric is right - eat for the size you want to be. In addition to nutrition, I assume your training regime lends itself to 'increasing mass.'
i.e. IMO, heavy lifting with squats, deadlifts, and presses every week.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Lorenzo Sponzilli

Profile:

sorry, but I'm italian and I don't know very well english, so I don't understand your answer.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

That looks like one of Cain's patented "had a few beers and got on the computer late at night" posts.

I think he's trying to say that doing GSLP and eating a lot is working for him.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
BMH

Profile:  

I had to go up to about 4000 calories till i started the ball rolling for about 4 months and now do well on about 3000. Any less and i struggle to maintain weight but can still recover if i watch my volume.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Sponzilli View Post
hi, I do CF from about 5 mounth and I'm realy enjoy. I'm 1,90 cm and 163#.
I want absolutely increase my mass and for this I start to understand what I must eat. I train me 5 time a week. waht I must eat during the day of work and what in those of rest??
You must increase how much you eat. I would add 1,000 calories per day and see what happens.

I also suggest you cut back to 2-3 WODs per week and find a strength program to follow which will encourage larger muscles.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #8
Graeme Moore

Profile:

If you actually really do want mass, five words for you: Dan John - Mass Made Simple.