CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
David Ballard

Profile:
Question Things to do in Columbus

Hey guys, I'm driving from out of state to attend the the Arnold Sports EXPO things this weekend and I was wondering what would be some fun things to check out for a health/fitness nut.

For example, any cool health food stores/restaurants that would be worth an extra trip out of the way. Olympic weightlifting center or kettlebell places? I'm not looking to really workout or anything, just soak up any cool experiences. I try to follow a Paleo-like diet and I've noticed that Krema, who makes awesome almond butters is located there. Is that worth a visit?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Again, I'm a true blood crossfitter who enjoys Olympic lifting and kettlebells the most, not so much long endurance, follows a Paleo diet, hates sugars and loves fats and proteins, particularly likes different types of nut butters.

On the other hand, although I follow a healthy diet, I do enjoy eating challenges where you can win something. I saw an 80 oz steak challenge in Akron that I'm considering. Another random thing I sometimes enjoy is a good comic book store.

The EXPO will probably satisfy all my entertainment needs, I just don't want to miss out on anything cool.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Michael Muth

Profile:
Re: Things to do in Columbus

What Columbus are you going to Ohio or Georgia?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Michael Muth

Profile:

My bad, I did not see the Arnold expo part in your post. There will be allot of sporting events between OSU and the highschools around the area. Upper Arlington lacrosse will be starting up and if you are into that, I guarantee you can see at least ten of the top 100 Division 1 recruits there. I hear German town is pretty nice and hip other then that, I would check out concerts in the area, they have a huge music scene.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Visit Westside Barbell?

Go Buckeyes.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Justin Heller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
Visit Westside Barbell?

Go Buckeyes.
I had the same idea, but they will not be around this weekend. We called the other day.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

I'd visit Rogue Fitness if they are open when you're there. And if not, go early. I'm planning on trying swing through Columbus this summer when I'm in the States to hit Westside and Rogue both. We'll see if the wife and kids (who all CrossFit) allow that. They are not gearheads like I'm alleged to be...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
David Ballard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post
I'd visit Rogue Fitness if they are open when you're there. And if not, go early. I'm planning on trying swing through Columbus this summer when I'm in the States to hit Westside and Rogue both. We'll see if the wife and kids (who all CrossFit) allow that. They are not gearheads like I'm alleged to be...
I have certainly seen this Rogue fitness in my internet searches. What would be the cool perks of a one shot visit? They look like a huge crossfitting outlet and it appears they sell alot of fitness equipment as well
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

Well, if you're thinking about buying gear and/or using gear, a one-shot visit would be worthwhile to see a variety of gear you'd only usually see in a very very well equipped box. You'd also be able to see how it is used, set up, and maintained. Talking with the trainers, designers, etc., would be worthwhile, in that you would understand the equipment better -- and if you do understand it better, it should translate into better/more optimal use. For example, barbells seem really simple, but they aren't. I'd think talking to folks who design them would be useful. That's why I'm planning on visiting them -- look at the gear, get an idea of how it is set up, learn about how it is designed and best used, and understand more about these tools we use daily in CrossFit.

They also have great t-shirts.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Dale King

Profile:

Hey bro...the expo will be a fitness orgy. There will be tons of stuff going on in downtown Columbus. Once you get to the expo, you can pick up a map and schedule of events...everything from bjj tournaments, strongman events/seminars, powerlifting, gymnastics...all this stuff will be going down at the Expo.

Not to mention you could probably be content watching all the action from the Crossfit Venue all weekend..