CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
Andrew Mattson

Profile:
Been doing CF for 2 weeks, running PFT for Marine Corp OCS

I have recently started doing the CrossFit WOD's and have been feeling the burn for every workout. It has been great.

From what I can gather about the regimen so far is that CrossFit is meant to be a steady workout program that works on improving form in order to improve strength over an extended period of time. This is all gravy since I will most likely use the WOD for many years to come.

My reason for this post is to hammer myself as hard as possible in order to get a perfect score on my PFT for the Marine Corp Officer Programs application. In order to get a 300/300 I need to do the following:

20 pull-ups, must be consecutive and dead hang in between each up (100 pts)
100 sit-ups in 2 minutes (100pts)
3 mile run, must be completed in 18:00 minutes for full 100pts

If there are any specific WOD's that I should focus on in order to achieve this goal please let me know, if not any workout that will focus on achieving these goals would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Andrew
Old 06-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Been doing CF for 2 weeks, running PFT for Marine Corp OCS

Pullups and situps should come pretty easy after doing normal CF WODs. Running an 18min 3 miler will depend on how good a running shape you're in. If you currently run anything over about 21 mins, you'll get enough metcon work from the normal WODs to improve your time by a minute or two. If you're sub-19mins and get stuck there, mix in one or two CFE WODs per week along with your CF WODs. Getting faster on 400-800m intervals will make a big difference on your 3 mile time.

But CF by itself will keep you in running shape. I just ran an 18:45 on my PFT two days ago, which is the same time I ran on my last one in December. Over the last 6 months I've only done one run of three miles or longer (a 5K road race in March), unless you count a few 4 mile formation runs at 8min mile paces. That, all while I've been ignoring endurance work in favor of gaining weight and getting stronger.

Don't worry too much about a 300 PFT--I've talked to some friends who are OSOs and I've seen what's really needed at TBS and beyond. A 275 is basically what's expected of a 2ndLt; anything above that is just bonus points but won't make a huge difference. And if you're in the 290s you're fine....don't obsess too much over making that 298 a 300, worry more about increasing your deadlift, doing more pullups, learning to climb a rope, getting faster on the obstacle course and on sprints,boosting your GPA, and doing other stuff to make your application more competitive.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
Ron Hendrix

Profile:

In 5 and half years in the Marines, I don't think I ever came across a 2ndLt who ran a perfect 300 PFT. I'd be damn impressed if that had ever happened though. Good goal. Eric's advice is solid.

How long did you have till you run the PFT for score?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
Andrew Mattson

Profile:

Thanks for the quick replies. I am running the PFT for the first time this Saturday (I know not much time right).

As of right now the best I have done is:

3miles -21:30
9 pull-ups
65 sit-ups

That was about a month ago that I took those scores. I know the PFT I am running on Saturday is too soon to really do too much (If there are any situp/pullups workout I can do before then to get a few more that would help)

I am already a college grad so there is nothing I can do about GPA, and I have a few "statements" that I will have to fill out for the application so my goal of having a perfect PFT is to make up for those shortcomings. If I can get a 290 or higher that should be sufficient enough.

Side Note: I have heard of Recon Ron, and my Captain told me to do a pull-up then a push-up, then 2, then 3, then 4, all the way to 10 and back down. 2-3 times a week.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 06-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

To expand a little on Ron's comments, I've seen a handful of 300 PFT'ers over the last five years, but I'd say a majority of them were former track/cross country runners. They typically had small frames, which also made it easy for them to do pullups based on high strength to weight ratios. However, a lot of those guys were less than stellar performers if you put a flak jacket with SAPI plates and an 80lb pack on their back. And they're finding that the new Combat Fitness Test is a struggle for them because they can't lift a 30lb ammo can very many times or they have trouble doing a buddy carry. Running an 18min 3-mile is borderline specializing, particularly if it comes at the expense of your strength and heavy metcon ability.

A 300 is nice, but it's kinda like getting a perfect 1600 on your SATs. Someone who has a 1500 SAT (i.e. a 290 PFT) but is better-rounded is the more qualified applicant.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Andrew Mattson

Profile:

Good Point, what is metcon btw?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Ron Hendrix

Profile:

Metabolic Conditioning.

And I only did the CFT once right before I got out...funny to see the guys that score near perfect PFT's completely fail in the CFT. I'm not sure what the rumor's are now, but I wish the Marine Corps would do away with the PFT, it's a horrible representation for fitness. That's just my .02 though.

And Andrew, given that you only have till this Saturday, pullups are 5 points a piece, the more you get, the less you have to worry about the "sit-ups" and run. Pullups should be your bread and butter. If the PFT is going to be something you need to do absolutely fantastic in, then you need to eat right, sleep well and focus. Doing a WOD right before isn't going to really help you, in fact, it could ultimately hurt you.

Last edited by Ron Hendrix; 06-24-2009 at 07:22 AM..
Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Andrew Mattson

Profile:

Ron,

I am planning on taking Thu/Fri off completely from exercise to heal, so I was looking for one last butt kicking workout for tonight then rest.

My diet consists of primarily veggies and proteins. I do not drink soda or anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup (its the devil). I limit my alcohol intake to 3 nights a week whether its 1 beer or 10. I am currently 6' 178lbs which is pretty close to the 175lb I weighed in high school. I was able to do 17 pull-ups in HS, the most in my class, so i know its a goal I can reach again.

I just found out there is a CF opening near me in WEst Chester PA so that Im sure will be great since I can have someone push me as opposed to doing WOD alone.

I know this PFT score isnt going to be great, I am looking at it as a stepping stone.

Thanks again for all the great input,
Andrew
Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
Ron Hendrix

Profile:

Maybe I've misunderstood then, is this the PFT that you're running for score to put on your application?

If it is, then I would just do some rowing on a C2 or a light jog. If it's not, then start following the MP WOD, or follow the WOD that the affiliate near you does if that's more convenient. One ball busting workout isn't really going to help you with your PFT. Time to train smarter, not harder.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Andrew Mattson

Profile:

Sorry, no this is just a preliminary PFT so the recruiter can tell me where to improve (everywhere).

I will look into the MP WOD, thank you.

Andrew