CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Marine PFT and SOI/ITB

Hey everyone,

Well for those of you that remember way back yonder 2.5 years ago I was discharged with a lung infection from the Marine Corps. I spent the time being recovering and effectively training and staying in shape through crossfit while keeping my medical records up to date. Well I spoke with the recruiter today and they gave me the ok put in a waiver and I feel im ready to go in for round 2. They are putting a medical waiver package together and I will have to go before a review board to get the yay or nay on being fit for service. I am 100% confident I will pass and since this will take a while im putting together a program for SOI specifically running and ruck marches.

Basically it's real simple as far as general conditioning goes.

3 days on 1 day off with 2 days a week for BJJ and 2 days for MEBB and the other 2 for CF. The CF and BJJ days will be interchanged as needed for training needs so it wont always be 2 days BJJ and 2 days CF.

Ex. WOD/MEBB/BJJ

My biggest concern will be training for running and rucking. Im thinking of testing on a bi weekly basis the 3 mile run and incorporating rucking in a similar fashion building up from 5k humps to 20k humps and longer while adding more weight every few weeks to a pack and build up to the training weight used in SOI if I can remember correctly was around 75-85lbs.

But I would like your opinions and recommendations on run/rucking training.

This is something I've waited a while for to have a second shot at and I want to be at the head of the pack in ITB this time. My goal is to successfully get into the fleet and into an LAR unit and one day get into either a FAST co., Anglico, or Recon. Ambitious but im dead set determined this time.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
Ken Thynes

Profile:
Re: Marine PFT and SOI/ITB

Kevin, It sounds like you've got the right idea. Hit the ruck work hard, and treat them all like a speed hump and try to get better times on each one. Are you going to be going directly to SOI? If so, get in as good shape as possible. I assume they still offer Recon indocs each class, so work on the swimming too. That was how I got my foot in the 0321 door, and the swimming was what dropped most people. Were you also aware that you can get a contract guarantee upon enlistment that will allow you to do an 0321 pipeline?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Thanks for the swim reminder. I keep forgetting to take that into account especially with the indoc. Yes I'll be going directly to SOI East.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
John Hoffner

Profile:

Best of luck Marine! Your plan appears sound. That you have a plan and are exhibiting this amount of dedication in your preparation says great things about you.
Semper Fi!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
James Reynolds

Profile:

I remember the days of the tick (ruck) sucking the life out of me fondly, though at the time I really wasn't a big fan of it! I found that practice and setup were key. It seems simple, but using the waist belt helps take some of the weight off the shoulders, but I wouldn't do this in any situation that may require you to dump it quickly.

For training, i would carry my ruck and a crow bar (to sub as a rifle) and run from one light pole to the next, then walk to the following one. Once that got easy, I would run two then walk one, then three to one etc.

Good luck,
Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Seth Hollen

Profile:

Well here's my 2 cents. I went to Parris Island then SOI at Camp Geiger.
At least be able to run a 8min mile for 3 miles- preferably under 7min. most guys really sucked at running. My run times actually got worse there. But I was still doing sub 7minute miles. I'm not sure where that put me compared to the average but I'd say in the top 20%

I say this because the PFT score counts a lot towards getting promoted faster.

the 80situps are nothing.
just constantly work on your pullups.
Do lots of pushups, just get used to it.

Road marches did a lot of damage. I couldn't believe how many people got shin splints.
I think Most of it was due to: no cushion in the old jungle boots. (the new ones are better)
the issue socks are crap.
Most people never did any hiking or serious stress to their legs to help prevent shinsplints.

I used to hike a lot so I mailed my mom in boot camp and had her send me my hiking socks (more cushioning, more wicking) I wore them under my issue socks. Later on in the fleet I bout only THOR-LO military boot socks. They are expensive but worth it. Just buy better socks. It's an investment in your health!

BTW my personal cure for blisters is a mixture of hemorrhoid ointment and antibiotic cream.
Also have someone send you a good razor. Those issue disposables are crap.

So keep up the hiking and running. And remember it's still mostly mental. no matter how strong you are going in you will still have to push through pain and endure things.

Semper Fi,
Seth
Old 09-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
Kevin Perry

Profile:

How is the terrain at Geiger? I know Pendleton was no joke as far as some of the hills were but when your lugging 85+ pounds plus the saw up Mt. Mother and you got a lung infection hurting your lung compacity it's not the funnest thing in the world especially when one lung collapses along the way.

Im not worried about my feet, they never gave me a problem before and pullups are no worry (I've always managed 25+), I can pass the PFT no problem it's just the matter of getting into running shape and building the endurance and load tolerance for the humps.

I was thinking of buying or better yet borrowing a flak jacket and alice pack from the local recruiting station for humps up Paris Mountain as that would best reenact the conditions in SOI.

As far as swimming goes I've never been a good swimmer.

Ken, I know there is a UZ option that allows a Marine the opportunity to try out for the Recon screening but does not guarentee a Marine the mos 0321. I'll be perfectly happy If I can get back into 0313 LAV Crewman but as we all know, it's entirely based on the needs of the Corps. I had an Army recruiter talk to me the other day about offering 10,000 for prior service plus additional bonuses for 11x option which is Airborne and Ranger indoc. Not sure if I could dite the Marine uniform though..
Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
Chris Drewry

Profile:

I thought they did away with Mt. Mother at the end of the Crucible in Camp Pendelton.

PS

GodSpeed and Semper FI
Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Drewry View Post
I thought they did away with Mt. Mother at the end of the Crucible in Camp Pendelton.

PS

GodSpeed and Semper FI
I meant the Big hill at SOI West, I honestly can't remember the hill they make the recruits go up at boot but it's easy compared to the ones your hump in SOI.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
Brian De Mio

Profile:

Wow Mount Mother!

That brought back some memories. Haven't thought about that in a lot of years...

I was stationed out there in LeJeune for a bit. Mostly I think your gonna be ruckin on tank trails ( lots of white sand) and in the woods. Not a lot of hill work there. Red bugs, bitemes, no see ems, horsflies... you name it your gonna experience em.