CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
jason hunter

Profile:
I've heard many conflicing reports on this subject so I hope someone out there can clear this up for me. I've been told that you have to eat at least 2500 calories a day to build muscle. I've been following a modified version of the zone diet because my goal is to lose fat first, and gain muscle second. I'm only consuming about 1800 calories a day through lean protein and complex carbs. I am currently 6'2 and weigh 210 lbs. I run 3 times a week and lift weights 3 times a week. Should I be eating more!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

If you weigh 210lbs and are indeed consuming 1800kcals a day I would expect you to be dropping weight at an alarming rate unless you have more than 20% bodyfat. Losing fat and gaining muscle are considered to be incompatible goals under most circumstances. To effectively lose fat you must restrict calories to a certain extent and to gain muscle mass you must increase calories to a certain extent. Your best bet is to pick one or the other. Which you pick to pursue first is something you need to decide on an individual basis. Can you use a method to estimate your bodyfat percentage and reply with it here?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
For muscle gain without fat loss, the rule of thumb is based on 15-17 calories per lean pound with imposed boundaries of 1.2 and 1.6 times BMR.

From Hussman Fitness: www.hussmanfitness.org.

Check out that site, it's got a lot of good information about calories, building muscle, and fat loss.

Susie
Old 08-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Oh, I forgot to say the site is w/f safe.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Charles Bennington

Profile:
I would try taking a few days to not just monitor blocks, but also actual caloric consumption. After a few days of careful monitoring you'll have a better idea of what your actual daily calories tend to be. Adjust accordingly.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
jason hunter

Profile:
I've monitored my calorie intake for the past week and it is in fact 1700 to 1800 a day. As far as body fat percentage I'm about 20%, So any more thoughts.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
The insulin spike provided by a high glycemic food source acts as a agent for transforming carbohydrate into stored fat – even in low caloric diets.Mice on high glycemic/low calorie diets get more fat than mice on low glycemic/normal calorie diets.

Therefore: More importantly than caloric intake is glycemic value of the food you're eating.

Use vegetables and fruits with low caloric density as your filler in every meal, for example broccoli and berries.

Needless to say (now I say it anyway): No sugar, cakes, sodas etc. Nuts are got snacks. High on calorie, but low glycemic value = non fattening (unless it's eaten with a ton sugar or white bread or something the like).

Another thing is if you try to loose fat through decreased calories and afterwards try to build muscle through normal/increased caloric intake, you'd GUARANTEED gain a good portion of fat again. Just like pouring water over the desert. Therefore try to increase caloric consumption and focus on fat burning activities like tabatasprints and intervals of any kind.

Take a little look at the picture to the left. I've lost a total of 88 pounds, so I know what I'm freakin' talking about ;)
Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
Nick Cummings

Profile:

At ~20% bodyfat I would suggest your goal be to get below 10%. If you are 210lbs with 20% bodyfat the standard Zone calculation puts you close to 19 blocks. You mention a modified version of the Zone. What is this and why not the regular Zone which many have success with? Also regarding your training, have you taken the plunge and tried the posted WoD for a few months yet?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Richard Gatz

Profile:
Maybe I'm an anamoly, but I'm 5'7", 185lbs, and I've lost 2.7% body fat in the past month (17.7% to 15%) doing nothing but the CFWU, WOD and trying to eat under 2000 calories a day. In other words, I do not monitor the carbs, fats, protein that I eat, just the total number of calories. (Although I do not drink anything other than water and the occasional orange juice, and only eat wheat bread and pasta products. Generally my daily intake is 45% carbs, 20% fats, 35% protein.)

I've seen significant increases in strength, muscle mass, and muscle tone in that time. I think it is important to experiment and find what is best for your body. I'm sure I could lose fat faster on Zone or Paleo, but my taste in food prohibits such diets :-).
Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
Stephen Solano

Profile:
CF Journal #21 is a pretty good resource.