CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
James Gordon

Profile:
CrossFit startup business model

An opportunity to start and operate a CF facility has recently come up. I am in the process of selling my existing business and will have the time and financial resources to set up a well equipped 2000sqft facility.

I know all the steps involved to get up and running (certification, affiliation, insurance etc..) But am wondering what the most effective method of running a CF operation is.

I'm fairly new to CF, and will be sharing the space with my MA instructor and hopefully another Karate school to start. While I am waiting to get into a certification course, I am working on a personal trainer qualification through Can-Fit-Pro and a fitness kickboxing instructor qualification. The facility is located a warm-up jog from the local college (they have a police foundations program) and Provincial Police Headquarters.

I am looking for different examples of schedules for various classes ie. private, group, kids, open time.....This will be my full time occupation, but I have two little ones at home so can't be there from 5:30am to 9:00pm.

Any advice from existing affiliates would be greatly appreciated.

James Gordon
Future CrossFit Affiliate
Old 09-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Adam Head

Profile:
Re: CrossFit startup business model

James,

I'm not an affiliate, yet. I'm writing my first draft of the essay on the plane tomorrow on the way to Quantico for the cert. I would suggest just going to all of the different affiliate sites. Some do an open gym style where members come whenever they want to, and others do the more structured times, 6 am, 7 am, 8 am, etc. . . I've been questioning this myself. For me, it has boiled down to my personal preference in coaching the members as well as staffing. If you are going to have other trainers there also to help, then you pretty much can do whatever. If you are doing solo, you have to ask yourself what you are comfortable coaching. Also, I believe you should think about the different levels (mainly skill levels and profeciency in the lifts, not necessarily physical capacity) in that newbies are going to require more coaching, but you don't want you intermediates and vets to feel left out.

I guess my first question in response should have been, how much experience coaching do you have? Coach says that starting one on one is best. When you are intimately comfortable with that, add another person to each session. He's dead on here. I'm to the point where I can effectively coach 4 newbies, and about 6 skilled athletes at a time. Any more than that and I feel that I can't give each enough of my time. I'm going to do small groups (no more than 5) at 6 am, 7 am, and 8 am, as well as 5:30 pm, 6:30 pm and 7:30 pm. The middle of the day will be for business house keeping and any one on one if it fits into the clients schedule.

It's not exactly a solid answer to your question, but I hope it helps. I'm also interested in seeing what the affiliates post.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:52 AM   #3
Steve Liberati

Profile:

James, maybe I'm not reading your post correctly but you say you can't be there from 5:30 am to 9:00pm? If that is the case, what time would you train your clients?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
James Gordon

Profile:

Steve,

You're right, I didn't word that very well. What I mean is, with family obligations, I can't be at the facility for the full 14-16 hrs each day. The idea of training for 3-4 hrs in the early morning ,and early evening fits with my family life. Eventually, I would like to see some other trainers come on board and fill up spots during the day.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

Not sure if this will help or not but this is our schedule at CrossFit Thoroughbreds:

Mon., Tues., & Wed.:5,6,7,8 & 10:30 am & 5:30-6:30pm

Thrs.: OFF REST DAY We use this for one on one with newbies and consultations as well as handling the day to day business matters.

Fri.: 5,6,7,8 & 10:30am

Sat.: 9:00am Advanced CrossFit class, 10:00am repeat Fri. class for those that didn't make it on Fri.

Sun.: OFF REST/FAMILY DAY

We have about 50 clients right now. Jason and I split the hours between the two of us and can manage the classes very easy. There's usually no more than 3-8 people per class so it's very easy to manage. If we find that we're getting more than 8 people per class then Jason and I will both work the class together to better attend to the class.

Hope this will help,

Jeremy Barnett
CrossFit Thoroughbreds
www.cf-tb.com