CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Steve Ericson

Profile:
Weight lifting shoes?

I have a burning question that I can't seem to find the answer to. Sorry for another shoe related thread, but here goes.

Weight lifting shoes have a raised heel which allows for reduced flexibility while still performing lifts correctly. With that in mind if you have the flexibility to perform Olympic lifts like OHS without the heel raise, should you even be using weightlifting shoes? As I am debating this in my mind it seems to me that weight lifting shoes would discourage posterior chain involvement, discourage flexibility, and encourage the overall load moving forward. So wouldn't it be better to Olympic lift barefoot, in VFF's, or the like for general physical fitness? I have read that Westside BB goes without weight lifting shoes too?

Also, along the same lines - Personally I lack the flexibility to OHS without weight lifting shoes. So should I wean myself off of them completely and discontinue there use?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:
Re: Weight lifting shoes?

Read this article on "Why Weightlifting Shoes?" (wsf)

Powerlifting does not require the raised heal shoe that Olympic Lifting requires. Powerlifters tend to prefer shoes like the Converse Chuck Taylors.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Thanks for the post Gregory. I read the entire article and here is what I got out of it:

Weight lifting shoes are necessary for Olympic lifts because it allows the lifter to receive the bar at a lower position (squat or split style) while maintaining balance and compensating for lack of flexibility in the ankle joint. This confirms my prior notion.

However, it sounds like no one should have enough ankle flexibility to receive the bar in an extremely low position without lifting the heel(s) off the ground, otherwise you would be some kind of flexibility freak and probably have a very unstable ankle as a result. Is this an accurate statement?

Assuming that the above statements are true, then the conclusion can be drawn that barefoot (or flat solid shoes if you prefer) are better for Olympic lifting if the load is not such that it requires you to drop to a significantly low position. In this way adequate ankle flexibility would be encouraged. For example Elizabeth or any other CF workout that is done for time involving Olympic lifts and lighter weight.

Along the same lines the weight lifting shoes should be reserved for those max effort days which require an extremely low squat / split position to lift the heaviest weight possible.

Can I get an "amen" if you agree? Or a "what the heck are you talking about" if you don't?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
Chad Skola

Profile:

I just wear some cheap puma indoor soccer shoes and I dont seem to have a problem and I think I go pretty deep sometimes on my cleans. They were only like 45 shipped or something like that. I do want to get the Do Win Rogue shoes though. I love those things. I just wonder if you could just wear them around not just when lifting weights?
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Skola View Post
I just wear some cheap puma indoor soccer shoes and I dont seem to have a problem and I think I go pretty deep sometimes on my cleans. They were only like 45 shipped or something like that. I do want to get the Do Win Rogue shoes though. I love those things. I just wonder if you could just wear them around not just when lifting weights?
I don't think you would want to wear them around, with the wood heels there a little more comfortable than those Dutch shoes - barefoot or as close to is the way to go.