CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
G'day all

I'm after some ideas on warming up and cooling down. Currently I train at 0530hrs (only time I can) so I'm starting off pretty cold and stiff. I do 3-5mins on the C2 rower (depending on how quickly I get bored), followed by some quick static stretching in areas I feel tight (about 5 mins max). I then do a few mobility movements on a few of my creaking joints and then get into the CFWU of which I usually do 2 rnds of 10 reps each. If I'm doing a WOD that consists of Oly lifts or similar, I'll do a few reps with just the Oly bar.

Cool down generally consists of lying on the ground gasping for air and trying to avoid meeting Pukie. (Although I'm sure he's a great bloke!) Then I slowly crawl into the changerooms for a shower and later fall asleep on the way to work!

Any ideas on things to drop or add or variations?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
Alex Straus

Profile:
For a long time I've always warmed-up with a half mile run. I do this a few times a week. I find it gets my blood going. I follow this with a full body stretch.

Also, I find push-ups, handstands, and overhead squats with broomsticks or CVP pipes helps too. I modify the CFWU all the time, in regards to the workout.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
David Bennett

Profile:
Jason, I too like to start out with 3-5 mins on the C2 Rower, then move to Dynamic Stretches (from the April 2005 Performance Menu article, followed by a CFWU routine. Then I add specific stuff like the Bergener Warmup for a lift day or L-sits or handstand practice depending on the WOD. I avoid static stretching until after the WOD.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Warm up with whatever you want to get moving. Practice some skill based exercises, do some light weight overhead squats, jump rope, bounce trampoline, practice your rolls, practice handstands, etc. Warm up is a great time to practice some different stuff. Practice some ROM skills near the end of your warm up to get in some dynamic stretches.

Cool down is where more static stretching should happen. After lying on the floor gasping for a couple minutes, sit and have a good stretch.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Jason, I'll second David...switch the static stretching from the warm-up side to the cool-down side as Roger suggests.

Aush