CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #31
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: Ufc 87!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
I don't think Herring is good enough to stop the rampage that Lesnar will dish out like he did against Mir. I'm not a fan of either, so I don't really care either way.
I agree, I don't think Herring has the firepower, nor the submissions to stop Lesnar. He was pummeling Mir before he got caught in a submission, that IMO was a rookie mistake. I think Herring is a good fighter, but I think it's a bad match up for him
Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #32
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
If he fights and beats BJ, then Bj doesn't deserve to be mentioned in his class. Lets not forget, BJ has lost in the UFC
Easy tiger - he's also been a multi-weight class champ and he's current champ, and he's fought top competitors and champs in multiple weight classes.

During his career, he has fought and beaten some pretty phenomenal opponents like: Sean Sherk, Matt Hughes, Matt Serra and Jens Pulver.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 08-07-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #33
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Easy tiger - he's also been a multi-weight class champ and he's current champ, and he's fought top competitors and champs in multiple weight classes.

During his career, he has fought and beaten some pretty phenomenal opponents like: Sean Sherk, Matt Hughes, Matt Serra and Jens Pulver.

And if Roger beats him, that makes Roger the champ, and undefeated, and BJ no the champ, and being twice beaten. I'm not saying BJ isn't great, but people on here are saying, IF, Roger beats him, then him and Bj are comparable, which doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #34
Bob Guere

Profile:

....ummm.... BJ Penn is the champ right now.... unless we had a title-fight last night that I missed.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #35
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
....ummm.... BJ Penn is the champ right now.... unless we had a title-fight last night that I missed.
I said IF, Roger and BJ fight, and IF< Roger wins, than you can't say Roger is on par with BJ and Silva, since Roger would now be better. IF, they fight, and BJ wins, then he is better than Roger. IF, Roger beats Kenny Florian very easily on Saturday, then I think he deserves to be in the discussion for best fighters along side BJ, Silve, GSP, Griffen, etc.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #36
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
If he fights and beats BJ, then Bj doesn't deserve to be mentioned in his class. Lets not forget, BJ has lost in the UFC
I am a Huerta fan and I'm thinking he looks like one of the better LW's in the UFC but I don't think he's proven it yet. He did beat Guida, but he wasn't winning most of that fight so it was only borderline passing the test to me, and I don't care for Guida.

BJ is light years ahead of Huerta. He has lost in the UFC but so what? Huerta lost outside the UFC. Look who BJ lost to. The only time he ever lost at LW was way back against Pulver the first time they fought. The only other guys he lost to are guys like Hughes and GSP who are two of the top guys ever at the weight class ABOVE BJ's natural weight class. He lost those fights because he wasn't even fully dedicated and even then they were wars (just witness GSP's face). BJ has easily beaten Hughes, Stevenson, Sherk, and Gomi. He's beaten guys who fight at MW. He barely lost a close fight to Machida who's a LHW and is still undefeated even against top 10 LHWs. If Huerta did beat BJ it would put him up there as a top LW but until he does something similar to what BJ has done and consistently beat guys who are much larger, he's no BJ.

Last edited by Shane Rapp : 08-07-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #37
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
I said IF, Roger and BJ fight, and IF< Roger wins, than you can't say Roger is on par with BJ and Silva, since Roger would now be better. IF, they fight, and BJ wins, then he is better than Roger. IF, Roger beats Kenny Florian very easily on Saturday, then I think he deserves to be in the discussion for best fighters along side BJ, Silve, GSP, Griffen, etc.
Oh, sorry... missed that. If Roger beats BJ in a future fight, we can talk about it... but until then I stand where I stand.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #38
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Rapp View Post
I am a Huerta fan and I'm thinking he looks like one of the better LW's in the UFC but I don't think he's proven it yet. He did beat Guida, but he wasn't winning most of that fight so it was only borderline passing the test to me, and I don't care for Guida.
I don't think Guida, gets the respect he deserves, he's a tough SOB
Old 08-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #39
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

Quote:

I agree with you that Guida is a very tough and very game opponent, but the ufc brought Huerta up very slow so they could market him to the mexican audience. They want to make him a superstar. He is very talented guy, who could potentially be a champion someday.

But what you are failing to see, is that HE has yet to be tested against a championship caliber fight. Florian is no joke and is often the underdog in his fights. Florian also trains with the one of the best trainers in the business right now.

The only way you can compare Huerta to GSP, and Silva would be if Huerta could get past FLorian and then beat BJ. Anything is possible in mma, but Huerta defeating BJ is not! At least not the new, focused BJ.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #40
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Ya, he's a tough SOB and he's always a challenge but he isn't a top 10 LW. He's 5-5 in his last 10 and some of those aren't exactly to stellar fighters. He's great at pressuring but he's not very good at doing damage. He's not even close to being as good as the guys BJ has beaten. Should he get respect? Sure. Is he elite? Nope. He's arguably between #11-15 as far as top LW's go. So even though I'm a fan of Huerta I have to say he's still pretty much untested.

Last edited by Shane Rapp : 08-07-2008 at 04:48 PM.