CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Stuart Bowen

Profile:
SaHD in need of home-based workouts

Hi everyone.

Iím utterly new to Crossfit. Iím a long-time devotee to a slightly different program. I call it ďUnfit.Ē Iím 37 years old. A stay-at-home dad (SaHD) of two currently. Iím 6í1Ē and weight about 230lbs. currently. Which is too much. Iím looking at some weight loss obviously. But Iím also interested in a cardio. Iím an asthmatic, so cardio has always come the least naturally to me.

Iíve never really considered myself particularly athletic. I play racquetball once in a great while (and Iím not bad). Iíve practiced martial arts for about 25 years, though itís been a long time since I trained in a really physically demanding way. I have taken the odd BJJ and muay thai class. But most of my background is Filipino martial arts. Also done some Western fencing, kickboxing, karate, and five years of taekwondo when I was younger.

I donít know whether this is an appropriate question to ask here. Maybe thereís already an answer to this question elsewhere on the site. I apologize if there is. But my current ďjobĒ doesnít leave me much time on the computer.

I was wondering whether it was possible to get some guidance on setting up a routine. There are some guidelines though. Iíd be doing this during my sonís nap. He sleeps about an hour in the morning, after breakfast. (Heís 7 months old, by the way.)

So I have about an hour. (Less today, by the sounds of it.)
I canít go to a gym while Iím on duty, so Iím working with whatís in the garage. Thatís as follows: Heavy bag (water-based, full length), jump rope, sit up bench, and one of those pull-up door mounted things you can use for pushups, pullups, dips, and situps.

I should mention that I live in a city (Alexandria, VA) with a Crossfit gym. And within shooting distance of another in DC. But Iím not earning any money at the moment, and without getting too much into the testosterone-driven guilt of not being a ďbreadwinner,Ē I want to do some baseline stuff myself before hitting a gym. I do have access to a quite good community gym, which I pay for through homeowners fees, whether I use it or not. So thereís other equipment there. Iím also open to suggestions on other things I can pick up for a home-based gym. I noticed the local Sears is selling kettlebells now in 5, 10, and 20 increments. And those exercise ball things.

Again, I apologize if this question is inappropriate. But if anyone could help me get started, Iíd be much obliged.

Stuart
Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Nick Repertorio

Profile:
Re: SaHD in need of home-based workouts

Welcome Stuart,

The nice thing about CrossFit is you do not have to be in the gym for two hours, CrossFit Workouts are for the most part short intense workouts. This is a link to a bunch of body weight stuff that I am sure can get you started, enjoy...

http://board.CrossFit.com/showthread.php?t=38312 (wfs)

If you have limited computer time definitely spend that time reading the "FAQ" and "Start Here" which contains a bunch of useful information.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Thomas Wozencraft

Profile:

Your questions are centuries old to crossfiters. But this is a good group that doesn't slam, but encourages you to push yourself. You can search this forum to find just about any question that has been asked before. I recommend the FAQ's too, they have subs that you can put in if you don't have the equipment, and look at all the exercises & demo's. I too work out of my garage. I started with nothing for equipment. Looked through the forum for do it yourself homemade equipement and started the Brand X scaled back WOD's. I don't belong to any gym, can't afford it, nor do I need it. All of the WOD's are generally 20 mins. or so and you will get more accomplished than 2 hrs on any machine.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
James Weise

Profile:

You might want to look at this list of BW WODs:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38312
Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

Craigslist is your friend, you can find weights/bars/etc on the cheap there.

Do you have some old sports stuff in your closet? Baseball/softball stuff, hockey pads, etc? Take that ***** up to a nearby play-it-again sports, get some store credit, and get yourself some KBs or something.

I'd say just about everyone on the board wants to maximize their shrinking fitness $$$$, so try to immerse yourself into the forum, FAQs, free CFJ entries, and "start here" section on tips for DIY stuff. You can have a good sized DIY medicine ball for super cheap, if not free (depending if you have an old ball, dirt, and good tape ling around).

Best of luck
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Bowen View Post
Hi everyone.

Iím utterly new to CrossFit. Iím a long-time devotee to a slightly different program. I call it ďUnfit.Ē Iím 37 years old. A stay-at-home dad (SaHD) of two currently. Iím 6í1Ē and weight about 230lbs. currently. Which is too much. Iím looking at some weight loss obviously. But Iím also interested in a cardio. Iím an asthmatic, so cardio has always come the least naturally to me.

Iíve never really considered myself particularly athletic. I play racquetball once in a great while (and Iím not bad). Iíve practiced martial arts for about 25 years, though itís been a long time since I trained in a really physically demanding way. I have taken the odd BJJ and muay thai class. But most of my background is Filipino martial arts. Also done some Western fencing, kickboxing, karate, and five years of taekwondo when I was younger.

I donít know whether this is an appropriate question to ask here. Maybe thereís already an answer to this question elsewhere on the site. I apologize if there is. But my current ďjobĒ doesnít leave me much time on the computer.

I was wondering whether it was possible to get some guidance on setting up a routine. There are some guidelines though. Iíd be doing this during my sonís nap. He sleeps about an hour in the morning, after breakfast. (Heís 7 months old, by the way.)

So I have about an hour. (Less today, by the sounds of it.)
I canít go to a gym while Iím on duty, so Iím working with whatís in the garage. Thatís as follows: Heavy bag (water-based, full length), jump rope, sit up bench, and one of those pull-up door mounted things you can use for pushups, pullups, dips, and situps.

I should mention that I live in a city (Alexandria, VA) with a CrossFit gym. And within shooting distance of another in DC. But Iím not earning any money at the moment, and without getting too much into the testosterone-driven guilt of not being a ďbreadwinner,Ē I want to do some baseline stuff myself before hitting a gym. I do have access to a quite good community gym, which I pay for through homeowners fees, whether I use it or not. So thereís other equipment there. Iím also open to suggestions on other things I can pick up for a home-based gym. I noticed the local Sears is selling kettlebells now in 5, 10, and 20 increments. And those exercise ball things.

Again, I apologize if this question is inappropriate. But if anyone could help me get started, Iíd be much obliged.

Stuart
Stuart-
Welcome to the board.
FYI - there are several CF gyms within shooting distance of you, and 2 (not 1) are in Alexandria!

I live in Mt Vernon, work in Old Town and train people part time at CF Alexandria.

If you want to work on a program to scale you into CF WODs, send me a PM.

I might even be able to swing by your place on my way to work one of these days and coach you on some movements.

Best-
Sean
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Steve Quinn

Profile:

Stuart,

I started Crossfit as a SaHD, while my son was taking naps. It works out perfectly. Start with just the CFWU (in the FAQ). Then work up to the WOD on the main site. I started with just a pull up bar then slowly added equip. as I could afford it. I think in 3 years I have spent less than $400, which includes bumper plates, KBs, rings, etc. When I started I was 240 and in terrible shape. I now weigh 200 and do all workouts as rx'd. Crossfit will be perfect for your time constraints.

Get started and have fun

Steve
Old 02-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
John Doyle

Profile:

Read the Garage Gym articles in the CrossFit journal. That's a good place to start. If you can get away, almost everything can be done at a decent community gym with a little bit of creativity.

How can I become a stay at home dad or trophy husband? Sitting in my office looking at piles of reports that need to get out, that seems like it would be a nice career change.

Below are the Garage Gym articles. Both are free and WFS. If you haven't yet, get a subscription to the Journal. It's $25 for the year and there is an unbelievable amount of great information in the archives and being released.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...sue1_Sep02.pdf (WFS)

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...Revolution.pdf (WFS)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
J

Profile:

Pull-up bar, rings and a kettlebell can take you pretty far.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Stuart Bowen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Welcome Stuart,

The nice thing about CrossFit is you do not have to be in the gym for two hours, CrossFit Workouts are for the most part short intense workouts. This is a link to a bunch of body weight stuff that I am sure can get you started, enjoy...

http://board.CrossFit.com/showthread.php?t=38312 (wfs)

If you have limited computer time definitely spend that time reading the "FAQ" and "Start Here" which contains a bunch of useful information.
Hey, thanks Nick. I appreciate it. I've downloaded the PDF and will hit the FAQ. And thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
Your questions are centuries old to CrossFiters. But this is a good group that doesn't slam, but encourages you to push yourself. You can search this forum to find just about any question that has been asked before. I recommend the FAQ's too, they have subs that you can put in if you don't have the equipment, and look at all the exercises & demo's. I too work out of my garage. I started with nothing for equipment. Looked through the forum for do it yourself homemade equipement and started the Brand X scaled back WOD's. I don't belong to any gym, can't afford it, nor do I need it. All of the WOD's are generally 20 mins. or so and you will get more accomplished than 2 hrs on any machine.
Thanks Thomas. I have been watching the exercise demos for a couple of weeks now. Don't worry. I wouldn't have asked without at least doing that much.
Quote:
Craigslist is your friend, you can find weights/bars/etc on the cheap there.

Do you have some old sports stuff in your closet? Baseball/softball stuff, hockey pads, etc? Take that ***** up to a nearby play-it-again sports, get some store credit, and get yourself some KBs or something.

I'd say just about everyone on the board wants to maximize their shrinking fitness $$$$, so try to immerse yourself into the forum, FAQs, free CFJ entries, and "start here" section on tips for DIY stuff. You can have a good sized DIY medicine ball for super cheap, if not free (depending if you have an old ball, dirt, and good tape ling around).

Best of luck
Thanks mate. I used to work at PiAS, funnily enough. But that was an age ago. I'll check those resources out. Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Stuart-
Welcome to the board.
FYI - there are several CF gyms within shooting distance of you, and 2 (not 1) are in Alexandria!

I live in Mt Vernon, work in Old Town and train people part time at CF Alexandria.

If you want to work on a program to scale you into CF WODs, send me a PM.

I might even be able to swing by your place on my way to work one of these days and coach you on some movements.

Best-
Sean
I'll definitely send you a PM, Sean. Cheers! I didn't realize there were two places. CF Alexandria was the one I was referring to. I'd like to check it out. I just wanted to make the most of my time there.
Quote:
Stuart,

I started CrossFit as a SaHD, while my son was taking naps. It works out perfectly. Start with just the CFWU (in the FAQ). Then work up to the WOD on the main site. I started with just a pull up bar then slowly added equip. as I could afford it. I think in 3 years I have spent less than $400, which includes bumper plates, KBs, rings, etc. When I started I was 240 and in terrible shape. I now weigh 200 and do all workouts as rx'd. CrossFit will be perfect for your time constraints.

Get started and have fun

Steve
Thanks Steve! Nice to hear from someone in my shoes. I'll check out the CFWU. I appreciate it.
Quote:
Read the Garage Gym articles in the CrossFit journal. That's a good place to start. If you can get away, almost everything can be done at a decent community gym with a little bit of creativity.

How can I become a stay at home dad or trophy husband? Sitting in my office looking at piles of reports that need to get out, that seems like it would be a nice career change.

Below are the Garage Gym articles. Both are free and WFS. If you haven't yet, get a subscription to the Journal. It's $25 for the year and there is an unbelievable amount of great information in the archives and being released.

http://library.CrossFit.com/free/pdf...sue1_Sep02.pdf (WFS)

http://library.CrossFit.com/free/pdf...Revolution.pdf (WFS)
Will do. Thanks man!

How can you become a trophy husband? Not sure. I'm not much of a trophy. As far as the SaHD gig, it ain't easy. I'm absolutely exhausted by the end of the day. Lots of planning, running around, etc. It's very rewarding work, obviously. But it's just about the hardest "job" I've had. This is my second tour. Stayed home with my daughter for two years when she was younger. Now I'm home with both.

Trust me, it ain't all sitting around in coffee shops shooting the breeze with friends. (Though that does happen occassionally.)

Stuart