CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Just when i was getting back on my feet i got droped on my butt, well thrown on the point of my shoulder, the good one.Bad ones almost 100% again
Happened round 25 of 40,which i finished :-), lucky for me i was able to hold the arm in a guard, just couldn't punch with it.

Initially we thought it was dislocated but after a visit to emergency, some x-rays etc found out its "just" soft tissue damage. Still hurts like a B*^#$ though.
I will try to get into phsyio monday, doc says they can tell more once swelling goes down.

Has anyone had a similar injury? Landed on point of shoulder possibly damaged ligaments around the AC joint and may have sublaxed my clavicle(popped out then in).How long will rehab take?

The worst thing though, finished and passed grading so that all ok and the sling's kind of cool. But now i have to wait even longer to play on my rings :-(, they arrived monday but i promissed my MMA coach i wouldn't use them till after grading so i didn't risk agrrivating the injury in my right shoulder.

Oh well back to the squats and single arm trusteres and snatchs etc. I actually think doing these on my left arm while my rights been sore helped prevent the injury being worse then it is.I know all the squats over the last month helped my legs withstand the onslaught, and the "girls" helped me relise the pain wouldn't last, well except for in my shoulder. CrossFit rocks
Old 07-27-2005, 02:22 AM   #2
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Saw physio today, looks like im out for 4 weeks, cann't even run for at least 2 due to the impact.
And absolutly no pull ups or dips.NOT HAPPY!!!!It's still really swolen and sore and he found a mark on the x-ray that he's said might mean that even thought i didn,t fracture the bone all the way i my have "dinted" or "chipped" the clavical or something like that.
On the up side, i have no excuss now for not working on my one arm pushups.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Fiona, i'm afraid i have no experience of this injury, but i just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery!

From that last post you got the right attitude to see the enforced abscence through!

Chin up...
Old 07-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Thanks, but there not allowed,chin ups :-), that is.
But the one arm pushups are going well, did 10 yesterday only 5 i would class as legal, elbow angle 90 degrees or less, though.
They seen to be so much easier now they are my only option.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Hey Fiona, hope you get better fast!

I did something to my shoulder last week too but i can't figure out when i did it.

Have fun working on the OAPU
Old 07-27-2005, 10:23 PM   #6
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Thanks,I know exactly what i did to mine, watched the video this morning, in slow motion :-(.
Oh well its the nature of the sport,and the adrielin helped numb the pain of the leg kicks in the last 15 rounds.

On the Up side i did finally get one of my friends along to the Cardio Kickboxing Classes, She's a 3 time para-olympic swimmer and was only born with her right arm. She has wanted to try kickboxing (fitness work) for a while but felt it unfair on whoever she was paired with because she thought she could't hold the pads for a two handed partner.
We paired in tuesday nights classes,and she loved it.Even where able to workout how she could work the pads for a two handed partner after class.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:57 AM   #7
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Can reach my arm up to the sky today with out having to lift it with the other :-). Still hurts all the time and cann't rotate it but the swelling is finally going down.

Start back training tomorrow but will have to modify EVERYTHING.
Bike not run and single arm dumbbell thrusters.
QUESTION Should i double the WOD distance if im biking rather than running?
Old 07-30-2005, 12:37 AM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
if you are a 5 min/km runner 5 min on a bike will give you about 2-2.5km so you'll need to adjust the distances accordingly.

Old 07-30-2005, 01:17 AM   #9
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
I used combination of time for distance and HR today. Used the spin bike so have no idea of my distance but kept avarage HR same as it would be as in Run. I run 2.4 in 14:15 so i just divied but 6 to get 400m time.
Might try your sujestion next time.
This moring there was actually clavical definition,and a little more movement but after WOD it was swallon again,(probably due to increased blood flow,seeing i didn't use that shoulder)so i had to ice as soon as i finished.

How's your shoulder going?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:46 AM   #10
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I went to the physio today and they said that its mostly OK but i need to do some rotator cuff work as i'm a bit weak in the sub scap area.

That was a big relief but then i got told i need to have a cyst in my knee drained and possibly cortisone too