CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Steve Nelson

Profile:  
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been checking out the Crossfit site for about a week and a half now and must say I'm hooked.

Perhaps a little background: About two years ago I decided (well, my doctor really decided) that I needed to take better care of myself. I've always been a big guy, 6'2", 285BW at my heaviest. So I started running and since then have completed the Portland Marathon (at 39 years and 270 lbs!) and a couple of half marathons. I've dropped down to 235BW, my triglycerides are at 70, my total cholesterol is about 135 with the proper ratio of HDL to LDL, and overall I feel much better.

What's been lacking is any kind of improvement in strength or performance. I've started taking Krav Maga classes and really enjoy it, but I know I'm not getting the kind of strength training and overall fitness that Crossfit has to offer.

I haven't started the WOD's yet, I'm looking at putting together a gym in my garage. I did pick up the Garage Gym issue of the Crossfit Journal so I have a pretty good idea of where to start. Problem is that I travel from time to time and the next two weeks is one of the times.

The other constraint I have is lack of ceiling height. My garage is finished, with about a 8.5 foot ceiling, so there's really not much room in there for a pull up bar or rings or climbing rope. I'm thinking of putting them outside. Afterall, I run in the rain, why not do pull-ups in the rain as well? I've got plenty of yard space, anyone else in the Northwest braving the elements?

Anyway, that's about it. Looking forward to the adventure!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Steve, I'm guessing the weather over there in Washington might be quite similar to what we have here in the UK (lots of rain, right?). I do all my pull-ups outside on an old swingset in my garden. It's rusty, painful on the hands, and for the past week has been covered in frost. Although it's not perfect, I console myself with the thought that it is good "mental toughness" training. Completing your workout in spite of adverse conditions is a great test of character, and ultimately of immense benefit in lots of ways besides the obvious physical ones, IMHO.

Welcome and enjoy!

Old 02-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
I used to live in Seattle, I've done so many workouts in the rain... I've even workout out in the snow here in Denver. There isn't much to it, I just wear the same gear I wear to go snowboarding. Underarmour makes a good bottom layer with their ColdGear, get a waterproof jacket, and i have some waterproof boots I got at Kmart for $30. If you do any kettlebell stuff, leave the KBs inside so the handles aren't wet and freezing cold when you want to snatch 'em.

If you're new to CrossFit I would really recommend going to a few CrossFit classes. You live in CrossFit Central, CrossFit gyms in all directions from you. There's a CrossFit opening up right across the way from you in Portland I believe, there is Ranier CrossFit, and back in the day I worked out at CrossFit North in Seattle - it's definately worth the drive.