CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-12-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
Jason Scott

Profile:  
Greetings all... This is my first post after watching this site for a while now, and finally decided that it is definately for me. I am in the military and currently at a command that encourages lots of PT and I love it here! Well I'm not sure that I have any questions right off the bat, the website has links to everything that I might want to know... Did "Cindy" last night - 14 rounds. Not sure how that stands up so I'm gonna also post it in the WOD area and check others scores.

Ciao
Old 08-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Welcome to Cross Fit and San Diego Jason! I just moved here to SD at the beginning of the summer. It is a wonderful place to be. If all goes well we might be getting a new CF gym in the next couple months also, very exciting!
Old 08-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Jason Scott

Profile:  
CF right here in San Diego?!?!? Sounds great! Is there any more information?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Hi, Jason. Eddie Lugo is setting it up with Grady MacDonald. They will post info as soon as everything this firmed up.

Also, come on up and try Ramona's own Brand X. It is an AWESOME place to do CrossFit.

Welcome, to San Diego!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #5
Jason Scott

Profile:  
OK so here goes a WOD question.

When doing Sundays workout

Five rounds for time of:
25 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball - 10 foot target
30 Pull-ups

I subbed the pull-ups for 120 lbs. pulldowns and then broke those sets of 30 into sets of something like 15-10-5 reps. Is that OK? I mean is there a better way?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
Andrew Arasta

Profile:  
I'm a little too new to give advice, but if I had to guess, they are going to tell you to not sub the pull ups if you are physically able. They are probably going to say you don't have to do 30 each round but you should still be ambitious like 15 maybe. If you can't do 15 in a row then take as short of a break as possible in between to hit your mark. That's what I would do anyways.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:48 AM   #7
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Jason,

Andrew is correct. If you are fully capable of doing pullups, do them. 15-10-5 is a great scheme for 30 pullups. You can also do small ladder sets. 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, etc repeat until 30. Or even drop ladder sets. 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1. There are as many combinations as mathematics and your own work capacity will allow.

I can't do 30 pullups in a set yet, but the whole point of the number of reps like that as a constant is so that YOU generate your individual rep/set/rest scheme. This is another reason why we do this for time. As your body gets more effecient with different movements (pullups, thrusters, Wall Ball shots, whatever), you'll start increasing your reps per set and decreasing your resting time all at once.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:58 AM   #8
Andrew Gray

Profile:
The cable pull down is actually a very poor sub for pull ups. Try to do pull ups if you can, even if you have to do them in sets of 5. If they are really giving you a hard time you can do negatives, where you jump up then just lower yourself down on the pull up bar. If you have access to one there are assisted pull-up machines. Some people use super sized rubber band things to help pull them up. You can try setting something up to rest your feet on to give you a little boost doing the pull-ups. These are all good subs for the pull-ups, avoid the lat pull downs if at all possible.

Hope that helps, also, if you have any more questions like this you are better off posting it in the exercises board, or the WOD board if its about a specific WOD. More people read those and you will get quicker replies and such. Many of the questions you will undoubtedly have are questions that have been asked many times before also, so you can look many of them up using the search function and find tons of info (especially when it comes to pull ups).

Good luck with your work outs, be sure to keep at them, but also be careful not to kill yourself, many people have a tendency to go overboard when they first start out, I certainly did!