CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I'm at around 21 or so blocks - 140lbm at 1g activity multiplier. My diet looks something like this:

http://www.skyhighmiami.com/diet.pdf

Here are some progress pictures:

http://www.skyhighmiami.com/photos

Not sure where I am as far as body fat, but close to single digits I pressume. I'd like to drop a tad bit more - 7-8% but i can't seem drop anymore.

The only exercise I do comes from CF, other than that, I am very sedentary (computer, movie, sitting down a lot). Suggestions welcome!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

I'm confused due to your different goals in different threads. Is it fat loss or muscle gain you're going for?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Bob Haskin

Profile:
At 46 I am at 7.8% body fat. I have a relatively high metabolism so that helps.

I each a lot of little meals and a "normal" portion of dinner. I never get full - just comfortable.
Snacks consist of salmon & crackers, dried fruit, peanuts, fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese etc...

I eat fish, chicken or turkey mostly. A couple times a month I will eat lean pork and a couple times a month lean beef.

I don't eat any fried food, no bacon, no sausage, etc.... I eat minimal amounts of pasta.
Breakfast is either a protein shake and couple pieces of toast w/peanutbutter(3 times per week)- or cereal and toast with peanutbutter.
I drink water, coffee and wine and a little beer.
No pop ever.
I eat one high calorie dessert a week to make sure my body remembers how to burn fat.

I work out 2 hours a day 5 days a week and 1 hour on the 6th day. One day rest.
I do aerobic activity (stair climber, stationary bike or eliptical) twice per week for 30 minutes.

So thats my formula anyway.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Bob,

your body WANTS you to have at least 7-10% BF. If you get below that, you're doing it for cosmetic (i.e. vanity) reasons, not health/performance reasons. BodyBuilder get 3-5%, but they do it to compete in "posing" not athletic performances. Email Bill Fox about how health Pro BBers are... funny stories! College wrestlers avg about 6-8% BF because they have to make weight, but they have to be strong and fit.

Ask Robb Wolf about specifics, but I think you BF is healthy, and to go lower can screw up hormonal levels and have other bad side-effects.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
Hone Watson

Profile:
Tom makes some good points.

I'd ditch the deli meat from your diet and use real meat instead.

You could ditch the shake and the grapes as well and have a proper meal a little bit later after your training.

Go to bed before 10:30 each night without eating 2 hours before hand.

One thing I know that works for sure for leaning up is doing tabata sprints 3 times a week.

This should be at the expense of other workouts you might do on that day to avoid overtraining.

If you can get up to 150 meters per 20 seconds you'll be a beast.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:38 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Frank, you do not need to go any lower with body fat. DO NO GET OBSSESSED with weight, it implies an eating disorder, which many bodybuilders are guilty of. Make performance goals, not cosmetic goals. We would be much more impressed with 15 body weight overhead squats, then 7% body fat (which by your pictures you are at). I've read a lot of your posts and you are all over the place with goals. CUT IT OUT! Give me a double bodyweight deadlift, a body weight clean and jerk, 30 muscle-ups, 40 pull-ups, etc. If you could do all this your bodyfat is irrelevant (and probably where it should be) if not, your focusing on the wrong things. Consider this an intervention, cut the cosmetic crap!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
Bob Haskin

Profile:
A few years ago I was at 11% and wanted to get to 10% so I cut out the beer.

Which brought me to 7.8% - it was not a specific goal that I was aiming for. I just happen to have a high metabolism and I work out a lot.

Hone I don't eat deli meat - by turkey I mean whole muscle stuff that is baked or those loin pieces. I also eat turkey burgers once per week. Sometimes I get the all white which is low in fat. I question how low in fat the regular stuff is despite the claims on the package. I think they grind in skin so that it cooks better.

I do actually go to be at 10:30 most every night.

Training - Well I do 1/2 hour in the morning and then have my shake & peanutbutter toast. I snack on couple servings of fruit, some Almonds or peanuts, yogurt, salmon & crackers until about 1 PM when I go work out at th gym for an hour.

Then I come back and usually will have left overs or a TV dinner at my desk (I know TV dinners suck - trying to cut them out).

Then I will have some dried fruit or something before going home where I work out 1/2 hour again then eat a healthy dinner.

Nothing complicated - I just stay away from the bad foods is all. Usually have a couple glasses of wine at night.

Tabata Sprints - hmmmm.... will have to check those out. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
Larry, Chilllll bro......
Let frank drop another 7%, it's always nice to accomplish what you set out to do. I totally advocate cutting out the "cosmetic crap" - but to a certain degree. I've been fat and strong, hitting a couple of pounds short of a 3x deadlift for example and other stuff, but then I could never find clothes that fitted well, plus I didn't like the way I looked in the mirror. When you look in the mirror, you blatantly see yourself as is - not as a 40 - pull up machine.

Frank, I'm totally on board with having a bunch of different, sometimes conflicting, out there goals - keep going for it.

That said, I recently (about 2 weeks ago) started IF. So far, I like it, I was initially concerned about my recovery etc etc, but so far, it hasn't impeded me much when I get enough sleep. It has decreased my ability to do multiple workouts in one day, but I think on these days i'll just not use IF. I've also now started to incorporate CHOCOLATE into my diet. Dark, with higher cocoa content and less sugar is what I recommend. It has a bunch of phytochemicals, catechins, flavenoids, cannabinoids etc etc and seems to help with hormonal modulation. Plus the majority of fat in it is from stearic acid, which I hear is good stuff. My humble recommendation based on what is working for me is: Start IF, start using dark chocolate in your meals for the carb blocks and incorporate at least two 90 minute cardio type workouts a week into your regimen. The longer workouts will cause a metabolic shift in mitochondria towards fat burning.
Good luck meeting your goals.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Taha, did you look at Frank's pictures? He's clearly in single digit bodyfat range! He doesn't want to drop another 7%, he IS AT 7%. Frank, maintain your nutrition where it's at and focus on performance.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #10
Ryan Brown

Profile:  
hey guys,
newbie here with a question. What is IF?? I've used the search function and it keeps telling me my dearch is too broad.

By the way Frank great progress, how long have you been crossfiting for?