CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #1151
John Holcombe
Member John Holcombe is offline
 
John Holcombe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Folsom  CA
Posts: 1,058
Re: Sharknado

Anyone who is into shooting - you must check out the show "Top Shot" if you haven't already. It is on the history channel. It's kinda like survivor where they bring out a group of people and they do competitions and one gets eliminated every week until there is a winner. But these competitions are all shooting. They have to be able to shoot anything.. i've seen modern pistols, old west cowboy style pistols, pirate pistols, rifles, shotguns, crossbows, gattling guns, grenade launchers, bow and arrow, shooting a mounted machine gun on the back of a truck, etc. It's awesome


Did front squats last night.

135x8
165x5
185x5
200x3
210x3

Every set felt pretty easy. I think my max might have gone up. It used to be 235 last I checked
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #1152
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Sharknado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Bill, I wanna get a Glock 30 for off duty (in an ankle holster). I currently carry a Kahr 9mm on my ankle, but since we carry .45's at work (M&P .45's), I wanna stick with the same caliber. Glocks are my favorite handguns, but the M&P's are very nice also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i am more of a springfield armory guy myself... XDm or XDs travels. wife has a kimber by the bed.
Paulo, the M&P45C offers a good Glock 19 type size unlike the other Compacts in their lineup. There is only one reason I went Glock and that was because I got one for free and a monkey can work on them. The M&P is probably the "nicer" gun but certainly not perfect. Can't go wrong with a 30!


Andrew, XDs aren't bad guns but are poorly self serviced. If that isn't a concern for you then they are a great weapon it seems. An HS2000 with a bigger price tag lol. Glocks may not be ergonomic, but they have every part, holster, tool needed and for less money than others in most cases. A good service weapon. If you want a Kimber, go full sized, ensure the feedway is ok and administer the 10-8 extractor test to the gun and ensure proper fit. They along with Springfield are good 1911's but often drop parts in that need critical fitting. The Extractor is the life blood of the 1911. The smaller you go in size the more critical it is they are timed correctly between the recoil spring and the magazine spring. 1911's have a "flaw" in that the round must travel the absolute furthest amount it could in the magazine to load and must enter the chamber at a steep angle. Great guns, but they require attention in a few critical areas by a gunsmith who knows them.
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #1153
Andrew N. Casey
Banned Andrew N. Casey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Abilene  KS
Posts: 2,590
Re: Sharknado

ha!

no, no grocery store trip. i didn't think it was awesome, i was frustrated and mad. what actually happened was, as i told you all, a few days ago my barbell broke. so i was trying to be creative and figure out a way to do some leg work. for the record, the plates have "handles" on them so i can grap them and use them as sort of KB or dumbbell like, carry them, whatever. so i grabbed the backpack and put the 45lb plate in each hand. that wasn't heavy enough for squats, plus the plates kept moving and the backpack was hitting me in the head and it just wasn't working. i tried moving it to the front and back and holding plates different ways and all that jazz. anyway, finally frustrated that it wasn't going to work, i decided to do single leg work. initially i was just going to hold the weight plates down at my sides but they kept hitting the ground way before i was low enough, which made me even more frustrated. so then i tried to hold them up on my shoulders then way you would hold a KB at the top of a KB clean, but they don't sit as nice as a KB and when i would lunge they would roll forward and really tweek my wrists and hands, which made me even more frustrated. so by this point i was spitting mad because i had wasted alot of time to only get frustrated so i just finally said "screw it" and pressed them up overhead, with the plates hanging and resting behind my hand on my arm like a KB, and just did the stupid lunges. the fact that i was at this point doing more in the way of venting frustration than working out probably factored in strongly to me doing way more than i should have. as for reps i have no idea because i was just too annoyed to care, but i did way too many. now i pay the price of letting my emotions get the best of my brain. none the less, the stress is gone and i did get a good workout.
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #1154
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Sharknado

Jeff, my friend has the same thing with cross eye dominance. I struggle shooting left handed because both eye open really confuses my senses so i have to close one.

Andrew, you lunges are insane dude!
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #1155
Andrew N. Casey
Banned Andrew N. Casey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Abilene  KS
Posts: 2,590
Re: Sharknado

john, yes top shot is great. however, the show has gone downhill. i haven't seen the new season yet so hopefully it is better. the first year was great but then every season got less family friendly with language and subject content, plus it started being less and less about shooting and more and more about the drama of all the people living in the house.

bill, you know your stuff. i think we can both agree that in this day in age it is easy to find a great firearm. and obviously any tool is only as useful as the man the uses it - barbell, firearm, or pen.
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #1156
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: Sharknado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
ha!

no, no grocery store trip. i didn't think it was awesome, i was frustrated and mad. what actually happened was, as i told you all, a few days ago my barbell broke. so i was trying to be creative and figure out a way to do some leg work. for the record, the plates have "handles" on them so i can grap them and use them as sort of KB or dumbbell like, carry them, whatever. so i grabbed the backpack and put the 45lb plate in each hand. that wasn't heavy enough for squats, plus the plates kept moving and the backpack was hitting me in the head and it just wasn't working. i tried moving it to the front and back and holding plates different ways and all that jazz. anyway, finally frustrated that it wasn't going to work, i decided to do single leg work. initially i was just going to hold the weight plates down at my sides but they kept hitting the ground way before i was low enough, which made me even more frustrated. so then i tried to hold them up on my shoulders then way you would hold a KB at the top of a KB clean, but they don't sit as nice as a KB and when i would lunge they would roll forward and really tweek my wrists and hands, which made me even more frustrated. so by this point i was spitting mad because i had wasted alot of time to only get frustrated so i just finally said "screw it" and pressed them up overhead, with the plates hanging and resting behind my hand on my arm like a KB, and just did the stupid lunges. the fact that i was at this point doing more in the way of venting frustration than working out probably factored in strongly to me doing way more than i should have. as for reps i have no idea because i was just too annoyed to care, but i did way too many. now i pay the price of letting my emotions get the best of my brain. none the less, the stress is gone and i did get a good workout.
Angry lunges are the best lunges, I always say. Actually, I have never said that until now. I was imagining bumper plates held all the way aloft though, handled ones held like KBs I might be able to get 5 reps or so
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #1157
Andrew N. Casey
Banned Andrew N. Casey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Abilene  KS
Posts: 2,590
Re: Sharknado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Jeff, my friend has the same thing with cross eye dominance. I struggle shooting left handed because both eye open really confuses my senses so i have to close one.

Andrew, you lunges are insane dude!
after my laser correction surgery for my eyes, i have to shoot both eyes open 99% of the time... bow, gun, whatever. focus and depth perception both demand it. only exception is obviously when using scope on rifle.
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #1158
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Sharknado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
john, yes top shot is great. however, the show has gone downhill. i haven't seen the new season yet so hopefully it is better. the first year was great but then every season got less family friendly with language and subject content, plus it started being less and less about shooting and more and more about the drama of all the people living in the house.

bill, you know your stuff. i think we can both agree that in this day in age it is easy to find a great firearm. and obviously any tool is only as useful as the man the uses it - barbell, firearm, or pen.
Yeah, there are lots of choices I tell people. You just have to figure out what is best for you. IMHO Springfield dropped the ball by not doing Armorer certifications and selling parts factory direct / distributing them. No agency would want to deal with that and it possibly one of the reasons it never hit it with LEO.

But, 10 round magazines...do it for the kids!!!! Lol, not in this guy's hands. I am sure he'd wreck it with cap'd mags:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCBdy_3ilQ WFS

More beast mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhjjratzbRM WFS
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #1159
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Sharknado

Andrews workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRkKr5ePJno

WFS
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #1160
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Sharknado

Some times I read what people write about weapons and it makes my head hurt. Blatantly stupid things. Not unlike fitness stuff....
 
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.