CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Kevin Johnson

Profile:
Explain why I need oly shoes again?

Ok, I guess I understand why, as they put your body in a better position for squatting and such, and help your feet from moving "across" I guess is the word (I did experience this when lifting heavy with vff's and it was very annoying).

I guess what I'm wondering is, are they really worth the $150 just to use them once or twice a week?

And, I assume you guys use them only for a training session that calls for squatting and nothing more? How then do you justify this for crossfit, since most wods aren't about just squatting or just oly lifting. It seems like an expensive purchase for such an isolated sector of crossfit.

So what does one use when a wod calls for snatches, squats, cleans, etc. along with running and other things like that?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Explain why I need oly shoes again?

You are correct on all of those counts. You don't "need" lifting shoes for anything. They are definitely a luxury item for those that care about and want to maximize their Olympic weightlifting skill. They are pieces of performance equipment, much like a $1200 Eleiko bar is better than a $300 Rogue bar is better than the $50 bolted-end bar from Craigslist.

And you are also correct in that you shouldn't be wearing them for movements where there is going to be excessive flexing of the sole.

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 07-09-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Johnson View Post
I guess what I'm wondering is, are they really worth the $150 just to use them once or twice a week?
That assumes that you only use them 1-2 times/week. Maybe not a good assumption for everyone.

And you can get good Oly shoes for less than that. Or more. Also, assuming that you take good care of them, Oly shoes should last you darned near forever. You will likely spend *much* more on other CF shoes throughout your journey than you will on Oly shoes.

And, yes, Oly shoes are worth it if you do much Oly lifting and want to get better at it.

Quote:
And, I assume you guys use them only for a training session that calls for squatting and nothing more?
I actually never do squats in my Oly shoes. I only use them for Oly lifts (clean & jerk, snatch, and related moves like OHS), and even then only when that is *all* that I am doing. If I am doing a mixed workout of some sort (i.e. an Oly lift and pretty much anything else), I don't wear my Oly shoes.

Quote:
How then do you justify this for crossfit, since most wods aren't about just squatting or just oly lifting. It seems like an expensive purchase for such an isolated sector of crossfit.
I justify this by virtue of the fact that I frequently do workouts that are only Oly lifting. This is true for me but may not be for you.

Quote:
So what does one use when a wod calls for snatches, squats, cleans, etc. along with running and other things like that?
There are about a million other threads on shoes for Crossfit, so I won't go into detail on my answer aside from to say that I wear Converse Chuck Taylors for pretty much every WOD that doesn't have much running. If there is running, I wear either my favorite shoe (the Onitsuka Ultimate 81) or a pair of Mizuno running shoes (I forget which model).

- Mark
Old 07-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:

I use Nanos for anything mixed like that.

Also, you can get good Oly shoes without spending $150. Loom around, read reviews, etc. I use Adidas Trainers I paid $90 for. They don't have the heel height of some of the others but so far I've had a lot of success with them. There are other good shoes out there such as Wei Rui and VS Athletics that are cheaper than Adistars or Romaleos.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I do a lot of strength work so I use them anytime I squat, press, clean or snatch, outside of the WODs. And any WOD where we go heavy and don't have running I often use them as well.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Jason A Smith

Profile:

You don't........Froning snatches more than pretty much everyone (that competes at Crossfit) in his Nanos.

I have a pair of Adipowers. I use them for pretty much all my strength work, squats, presses, Olympic weightlifting and the accessory work. I feel much more stable in them, can hit better positions with their help and one day I may actually enter a weightlifting meet.

Pretty much the same argument that can be made for any equipment or gear. Get what you think you need. Most of MP "Crossfit" can be done without bumpers too, but most people have them anyways.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Ben Brabant

Profile:

technically speaking you don't. Assuming you have the flexibility you should be able to complete all cf specific lifting and wod's in a regular shoe.

However, lifting shoes will improve your lifts. No ones lifts have ever gotten worse because they wore oly lifting shoes.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Kevin Johnson

Profile:

well i just tried some on at a nearby store, and while they were a half size too big, i don't think i would have bought them anyways. when i went into a full squat, then again with just bare feet, i didn't notice any difference at all in my ease getting into that position. perhaps i'm just mobile enough to get deep enough without them, but barefoot squatting was just as easy and comfortable for me to get into position with. so i'm sticking w/ the converses.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Jon Hanover

Profile:

NEED is hard to justify in CrossFit.

Extremely useful for moving more weight though. Most people should be practicing oly lifts 1-2 times a week as well.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Kris Chamrernlaksa

Profile:

Quote:
well i just tried some on at a nearby store, and while they were a half size too big, i don't think i would have bought them anyways. when i went into a full squat, then again with just bare feet, i didn't notice any difference at all in my ease getting into that position. perhaps i'm just mobile enough to get deep enough without them, but barefoot squatting was just as easy and comfortable for me to get into position with. so i'm sticking w/ the converses.
I feel like it's completely different with a loaded bar. I am okay with any shoes, or barefoot, all the way through about 80% of my 1RM but beyond there I really notice the difference in helping with my geometry and staying upright - especially if the bar is being front racked. Maybe you should borrow a friend's and try it under more substantial circumstances.