CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
Cara Pulliam

Profile:  
OK...so I've been doing the Zone since February. It's going really well. I've lost over 20 lbs. Anyway, my question is about snacks. I'm on a 3 block meal and 2 block snack regimen (so 13 blocks). Everyone always talks about needing to eat a snack like 30 minutes before you work out. Is this snack an extra snack or should I use my 2 block snacks as a pre-workout eating? Also (one more question), I've been checking out a lot of Zone websites and all of them say I should be eating more blocks. I'm 5'6" and weigh 138. I would like to lose at least 5 more lbs. I am also still nursing my 8 month old and I am an Olympic style weightlifter with Coach Burgener. If I did increase my blocks do you think I would gain weight? HMM...I'm confused! Maybe this should've been a Help Me Nicole Zone thread!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Mike Ryan

Profile:
The snack is definitely not an "extra." it counts as part of the 13 daily blocks. As for the number of blocks, I am sure that others with more knowledge will answer, but I would guess that it has to do with activity level used to determine blocks. I have been eating 19 blocks per day and the calcualtor on dr sears site says that for a moderate activity level I should be at 21. I remember reading some other threads that addressed activity level and typically the assigned value was lower than you would expect. Hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Cara, first, congratulations on the weight loss!

The snack definitely counts towards your total daily blocks, so keep that in mind. Dr Sears' idea of a schedule is really more a guideline, if you want to have your snacks in different places, or eat MORE smaller meals throughout the day, it's no problem. Just remember that you don't want to get hungry before you eat, so keep them spaced accordingly.

As to your block question, I was eating 23 blocks according to Dr. Sears' equation, but am now at 19 (5/5/2/5/2), and am just fine! The trick is to find the blocks that make you feel good. In other words, you don't want to feel lacking in energy, you need to have a clear head, and not be hungry all the time. These symptoms can mean that you are getting too much or too little of one thing or another. If you feel good at 13 blocks a day with your activity level, then stick to it. There's no need to eat more just because someone else tells you that you must.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Hi Cara-

You've already got great answers to your questions. I just wanted to add that 13 blocks sounds about right to me especially since you are nursing. Once you are done nursing you could even try 12 for a while and see how you feel. As Brendan said you want to keep an eye on energy levels and performance- these will best indicate when/if something needs to change.

Also you could try breaking up the 2 block snack into 1 block pre-workout and 1 block post-workout. This works well for me.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
Cara Pulliam

Profile:  
Thanks everyone! I have tried breaking up one of my snacks to before and after and I do like that a little better. 13 blocks seems OK somedays but other days I am not getting full at meals. I try to eat plenty of veggies to help that full feeling. I'll just stick with 13 since I've had success with it so far. Thanks again! CARA!