CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
Chris Ryll

Profile:
Former Marine Looking to get Back in Shape

I'm a former Marine as the title says. I'm 5' 7". While I was in the service I'd be able to keep my weight around 175lbs. After I got out I ballooned up to 230 lbs. I got sick of that and I just started running. Just from working out more I was able to get down to 194 lbs. Just before new years I took a bet to lose 20 lbs and I did but I gave up meat for that period of time. Now that I'm back on it my weight bounced back to 184 lbs. I just want my gut gone and to be healthier (I have high blood pressure).

I am very interested in this program but my main goal is long distance running and on top of that keeping my blood pressure down. So basically I have a few questions that after reading a few of the FAQ posts and such I still have.

1) Looking at the CFE site I would just be adding that workout to the CF WOD. My problem with that is that I want to do a marathon within the next year. The CFE WODs seem to be geared towards shorter distances and while they seem to be great for building up muscle and such I would still that I would need to do regular long runs. So basically I was thinking of doing a 3 day cycle like this:

Day 1: Morning CFE WOD
Evening CF WOD
Day 2: Morning Long Run
Evening CF WOD
Day 3: Rest

Another reason that I was thinking about the long runs more is that I run in Vibrams and I need to keep building the resistance of the pounding on my feet and I don't think that the CFE WODs would do that enough.

2) Diet. Everyone is talking about the Paleo Diet and I'm still confused as to what exactly that is. I've read that its what our ancestors ate in the Paleolithic Era but there's also zones to it? I guess I really just don't understand what I'm supposed to do with that. I saw that one of the suggested books was "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" and that it was more geared to long distance exercise. Is there a better resource for that information or would that be it?

I'm sorry for the wall of text here gang but any help that you could give me would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Re: Former Marine Looking to get Back in Shape

Intervals and a lot of the CFE workouts will get you faster in long-distance running, even if they are shorter distances. I would wait around for someone who has more experience to answer on that topic, however.

As for the paleo diet, there are not inherently zones to it. If you're referring to The Zone Diet, that is an entirely different concept. Paleo restricts your food choices while Zone restricts how much you eat. I would recommend starting with paleo alone to begin with, Zone is a bit complicated and, to be quite honest, a pain in the arse. Lots of people like Zone but my personality makes me way too disorganized to keep up with that.

Definitely look into paleo and implement it as soon as possible if you think that's what you want to do. It's by far one of the best choices I've made for myself. If you tweak it correctly, it will help you to lean out like you wish to. I'm fairly certain it will be a huge benefit to your high blood pressure as well.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Deleted duplicate post. Crap internet.

Last edited by Andrew Schechterly : 05-09-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Chris Ryll

Profile:

Awesome. Thanks. I'll pick up that book today.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
Don Wiss

Profile:

I don't think you have to buy any books. They are good for convincing something that the paleo diet is the most desirable, but if you are already convinced you can learn from the web. Very simply you need to learn which foods are "in" and which are "out." Though if you want to also add Zone proportions there is more to learn.

Here is my complete explanation: http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm
Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Chris Ryll

Profile:

Ok I bought the book and I read the introduction. I can buy into almost everything so far BUT getting rid of dairy. The book doesn't mention a thing about the levels of osteoporosis in the hunter-gatherer societies so far. Where is this extra calcium coming from?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Chris Ryll

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Wiss View Post
I don't think you have to buy any books. They are good for convincing something that the paleo diet is the most desirable, but if you are already convinced you can learn from the web. Very simply you need to learn which foods are "in" and which are "out." Though if you want to also add Zone proportions there is more to learn.

Here is my complete explanation: http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm
This is a great resource, thanks.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ryll View Post
Ok I bought the book and I read the introduction. I can buy into almost everything so far BUT getting rid of dairy. The book doesn't mention a thing about the levels of osteoporosis in the hunter-gatherer societies so far. Where is this extra calcium coming from?
While dairy is not 100% paleo compatible, a lot of people choose to keep it in their diets. I drink milk for the sole purpose of helping me to gain weight. Pretty much depends on how it affects you personally.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Chris Ryll

Profile:

I tried the regular CF workout this morning and I don't think my arms are going to work right all day. I like it.

Does anyone have any idea about the long distance running question that I have?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ryll View Post
Get your calcium from leafy greens - kale, chard, collard greens. Broccoli, almonds, etc.

I'm not on the dairy industry bandwagon. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Human milk is for baby humans. We are the only animals that drink milk from another species. Whole milk is great for weight gaining purposes if you aren't lactose intolerant. Otherwise, get your calcium from other sources.